Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Seconding LBD it's about 1% habit changes - every time I do this I build another good habit so here's some of the things that are good rules of thumb that I've figured out.

1. Only weigh yourself once a week (or only count once a week). Do it at the same time (I say morning) and then don't look at the scale otherwise throughout the week, you find yourself fussing over a pound or two you pick up between breakfast and lunch and rejiggering your meal plan even though it just screws with everything else.

2. I love the fitbit app and I set my calories to sedentary - I also track almost everything I'm going to eat that day ahead of time, which shows me how much I've got to work with for say, a beer after work or if I go out to lunch with a co-worker.

3. Make some light, easy exercise a ritual, I'm remote so my "daily commute" is a 30 min morning walk.

4. And yeah, be nice to yourself, i think one of the best things I'm getting out of reading this thread is there are a bunch of dudes out there who have the same frustrations with this stuff that I do - this is something we'll fight until we're dead, so maybe settle back in for the long haul.

I'll weigh myself on Monday, in the meantime here's a quick easy breakfast that does a decent job:
    a 1/3 cup of oatmeal (microwaved)
    2 eggs
    1/2 oz feta cheese
    1 cup of spinach
    salsa/siracha to taste.

329 cal, 15 grams fat, 31 grams carbs, 20 grams protein. Keeps you full till lunch.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    I have found if you can join some sort of group for workouts, it can help you stay accountable. With kids I have found this hard but do enjoy the days I can get out with my running friends for a trail run.

I also realized that our recipe book is not very healthy so for dinner I am at the whims of my wife. For breakfast and lunch I am on my own so for breakfast I have cereal, milk, fruit. I limit my intake by bowl size and realize this varies by dish set you've purchased but knowing what a serving size looks like on/in you dishes is helpful. For lunch, I usually try to do vegetarian or a protein and starch. My standard lunch is protein, rice, veggies which I make in advance on Sunday's and covers 3 lunches out of a 5 day period.

Standard lunch: Zataran's rice mix (I have lived on this stuff for going on a decade), protein (1lb) or beans (1 can), and frozen veggies mixed in (usually 20oz).
    Other takes: Protein (your choice but 1lb - 1.5lbs), sweet potatoes. I roast each and season as I feel like. Sometimes it takes on a spicy vibe and sometimes it is more savory. Having herbs on hand really helps.

Overall, controlling my breakfast and lunches have been a life saver. I used to do a protein shake in the mornings but those can pack a lot of calories and were only helpful when I was running 50+ miles per week and needed calories.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    For healthier recipes that still pack a lot of flavor, I can't recommend Skinnytaste enough. Gina finds ways to cut calories and fat out of a lot of richer dishes without sacrificing too much flavor.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1400 Post(s)
    Good tips gents! I like the idea of logging what I'm doing/eating. I am going to use MyFitnessPal for this. I can use the app to track my workouts as well as all of the food I'm eating. I realize from using it in the past that sometimes I have to make a 'best guess' as to what the calorie count was, but I usually err on the higher side.

And I definitely going to cut down the amount of beer that I'm drinking. It's a) getting to be habit which is starting to cause me some concern and b) it is just empty calories! I'm not giving up beer completely, but maybe stopping consumption during the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Some good research results looking at people who have lost weight and successfully kept it off to keep in mind (although skews heavily female, and men tend to have a weight loss advantage):
    http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.

94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.

There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Coming in late to the game--weighed myself this morning and was 187.8 at 6'1" and 29 years old. I actually was inspired to start cutting after a trip to NOLA two weeks ago and I weighed 192. My goal is 170-175. Once I'm in that range, I want to get my body fat measured and focus on muscle building.

My plan for weight loss is definitely focusing on diet through calorie restriction but also working out. Right now, I do dumbbell workouts three days a week, but I know I can do more. I was good shape in high school and college, but let things drop off after that. I want to be stronger, but also lead a more active lifestyle in general.

In my experience with weight loss (I wrestled throughout high school, and have weighed between 160-190 at different times since), the best strategy is calorie restriction while eating healthily. The calorie counter apps are great for this. Diet always trumps working out unless you run a crazy number of miles per week. That said, fitness is still important for overall health, and that's my main goal in this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
    In my experience with weight loss (I wrestled throughout high school, and have weighed between 160-190 at different times since), the best strategy is calorie restriction while eating healthily. The calorie counter apps are great for this. Diet always trumps working out unless you run a crazy number of miles per week. That said, fitness is still important for overall health, and that's my main goal in this.
    Also if you work out super intense it's really going to up your appetite and increase your injury risk. Moderate level of exercise (with increasing general activity like walking more) combined with caloric deficit is probably best at least to start out.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Good tips gents! I like the idea of logging what I'm doing/eating. I am going to use MyFitnessPal for this. I can use the app to track my workouts as well as all of the food I'm eating. I realize from using it in the past that sometimes I have to make a 'best guess' as to what the calorie count was, but I usually err on the higher side.

And I definitely going to cut down the amount of beer that I'm drinking. It's a) getting to be habit which is starting to cause me some concern and b) it is just empty calories! I'm not giving up beer completely, but maybe stopping consumption during the week.
    One thing to keep in mind with any sort of calorie tracking app - many of them allow you to log workouts and basically give you free calories by estimating how many calories you've burned in that workout. So if you set your calorie limit as 1800 per day, and then log a forty minute jog as a workout, you might suddenly find the app increases your daily calorie limit to 2200.

I would caution you from relying on this feature. Most apps seem to overestimate the number of calories you would burn in any particular workout. I think it also conditions you to think of food as a reward for working out, which is usually counterproductive and will cause you to overeat. Unless you are eating to fuel intense, multi-hour training sessions every day, eating more will only ever be counterproductive to your weight loss goals. Whether you are working out on any given day may affect the timing and type of food that you eat (e.g. a small snack of simple carbs, like a banana, before a workout, and something with some protein to help aid in recovery afterward), but it shouldn't generally affect the quantity or quality of food you're consuming on any given day.
    Ben

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Use smaller plates and bowls for all your meals. You eat with your eyes first so a full plate/bowl will seem like a large meal even when the portions are smaller once you get used to eating less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with any sort of calorie tracking app - many of them allow you to log workouts and basically give you free calories by estimating how many calories you've burned in that workout. So if you set your calorie limit as 1800 per day, and then log a forty minute jog as a workout, you might suddenly find the app increases your daily calorie limit to 2200.

I would caution you from relying on this feature. Most apps seem to overestimate the number of calories you would burn in any particular workout.
    Absolutely - fitbit (which I use more out of convenience than anything) is one of the worst offenders for that.

My work-around is set it to "sedentary" and then set a cap of 2000/2200 calorie max. What that means is it forces me to go be active if I want to eat past lunch (i would obviously eat anyway, but then i know what's happening).

It's far from a perfect system, but its worked for me in the past.