Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    The top 3 things you can do to improve health outcomes in general:
    1. Don't smoke.
    2. Exercise involving weights and cardio.
    3. Eat right.

Cover these 3 things and you protect yourself from the top 3 causes of deaths these days.
    I’d add “don’t drink” or at least “drink sparingly” to that list.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I’d add “don’t drink” or at least “drink sparingly” to that list.
    Top 4 list doesn't have the same ring to it. Gotta have 3/5/10 to make it work.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Top 4 list doesn't have the same ring to it. Gotta have 3/5/10 to make it work.
    We could probably add get 7 hrs (at least) of sleep per day to round it out. So:

1. Don't smoke.
    2.Exercise involving weights and cardio.
    3. Eat right.
    4. Drink sparingly.
    5. Get 7 hrs (minimum) sleep.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    That works. Here is a health span vs. life span chart that is simple and to the point. If you can do the simple things in the list above, you can have the same quality of life at an advanced age but people do not think long term and want the now.

The number 1 killer is heart issues and people ignore that. Prevention is key.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I'm in. 6' 2" and 190 now. Would like to get back to 180. Got a 2 and a half year old, need to get back to that pre-baby weight!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Someone has to be the big guy, so I'll take a run at it. I'm 6'4" and roughly 310. I'm fortunate to have a broad build, so I carry it fairly well (people are always shocked when they find out I weigh 300+), but I still think the 240-250 range would be dynamite. I've had minor successes with weight loss in the past (maybe 10 pounds here or there), but I've always ended up gaining it back. I currently have a fairly strong headwind, because my wife is pregnant (sympathy weight and all that), but also having my first child is making me reevaluate my health so I can be there for him for many years to come.

Almost on a whim I decided to start intermittent fasting last week (trying to only eat during a noon to 8PM window). I actually don't know that I believe there's anything inherent about fasting that's good for weight loss, it's really more just a way to help myself limit calorie intake. It's also saving some money since I'd often pick up a breakfast sandwich or something on the way to work. I've been shocked by how not difficult it has been. I think I only had one day (and it was a weekend) where I found myself getting cranky a little before lunch time.

Anyways, our scale is currently tucked away somewhere (we decided moving to a new house whilst pregnant was a good idea), so I won't be sharing any exact pound updates any time soon. Still, I figured I'd join in the fun.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1456 Post(s)
    So gents, any suggestions on how we are going to lose this weight? Support group here is one thing. But actually putting it in to motion is another.

Never having done anything like this before, I'm uncertain how to proceed. Share low-cat recipes? Something else?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So gents, any suggestions on how we are going to lose this weight? Support group here is one thing. But actually putting it in to motion is another.

Never having done anything like this before, I'm uncertain how to proceed. Share low-cat recipes? Something else?
    Highly recommend that everyone at least get the free version of the Lose It app and start logging what they eat. I'm not going to get into the low fat/low carb/low calorie debate--you can track anything you want on there.

What's worked for me the last few years is counting calories on that app. I'm down about 25 pounds in that time and just want to lose the last 8-10 to be really lean.

There are "social" features on there that allow people to make groups and communicate their goals, etc.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    I second the recommendation for LoseIt or another meal tracking app or program. 95% of weight boils down to nutritional choices, and it’s a lot easier to adjust your nutrition if you understand your current habits. You can track for calories or macros (protein/fat/carbs) or just assess whether you are overeating at certain meals, and then make adjustments accordingly.

Getting a food scale and actually measuring out and logging your food can have an impact without you even needing to make significant changes, as you may find yourself surprised at how what regular “serving sizes” actually look like and you may find yourself skipping those extra helpings because you know you’re going to have to log them.

After nutrition, the next biggest factor will be to maintain consistent exercise habits. TBH I don’t think it even matters what you do, whether it’s road biking or obstacle course racing or Olympic weightlifting classes or hot yoga or whatever, as long as it’s something you can motivate yourself to commit to as a regular lifestyle practice.

It’s important to consider the changes you make in both nutrition and fitness to be permanent lifestyle changes. Most crash diets and boot camp type workout programs are only effective in the short term and your body will tend to revert to its previous peak weight once you are done with them. It’s better to make small changes that you can stick to over the long term than to try to lose weight quickly.

Also important: Be nice to yourself. Losing weight is fucking hard. Our bodies do not want to do it, our brains are hard-wired against it, and we have been socially conditioned from birth to be literally addicted to sweet, salty, and fatty foods. There may be days when you end up eating an entire pizza and a pitcher of beer instead of that kale salad you specifically prepped. That’s okay - just be nice to yourself and try again the next day. Success will come from long-term dedication - the occasional off day isn’t going to have much impact as long as you’re generally consistent.
    Ben

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    It’s important to consider the changes you make in both nutrition and fitness to be permanent lifestyle changes. Most crash diets and boot camp type workout programs are only effective in the short term and your body will tend to revert to its previous peak weight once you are done with them. It’s better to make small changes that you can stick to over the long term than to try to lose weight quickly.

Also important: Be nice to yourself. Losing weight is fucking hard. Our bodies do not want to do it, our brains are hard-wired against it, and we have been socially conditioned from birth to be literally addicted to sweet, salty, and fatty foods. There may be days when you end up eating an entire pizza and a pitcher of beer instead of that kale salad you specifically prepped. That’s okay - just be nice to yourself and try again the next day. Success will come from long-term dedication - the occasional off day isn’t going to have much impact as long as you’re generally consistent.
    This is everything. Sage words.