Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)
    My inlaws living in town have hit my waist line. While they are helpful with the kids, they are an issue for my health. Wine is always flowing and the sweets are always around. Add to that, when they cook, everything seems coated in butter.

I haven't weighed myself for this reason. They are leaving for a couple months so I should be able to drop some weight for vacation soon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    201.5 lbs today. Will need to get my measurements soon, to see progression. I can feel muscle building though,which is very positive.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    My inlaws living in town have hit my waist line. While they are helpful with the kids, they are an issue for my health. Wine is always flowing and the sweets are always around. Add to that, when they cook, everything seems coated in butter.

I haven't weighed myself for this reason. They are leaving for a couple months so I should be able to drop some weight for vacation soon.
    My mom comes to town a couple of times each month to see the kids, and ALWAYS brings a huge batch red velvet whoopie pies and cherry cobbler bites. I am not a sweets guy at all, but I find myself doing a grab-n-go each time I walk past this. My gut is so inflamed every time she leaves. I have to trash whatever is left the minute she leaves
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)
    177 lbs this morning. I'll take that. Only a hard seven lbs to go to my goal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    177 lbs this morning. I'll take that. Only a hard seven lbs to go to my goal.
    Are you buying new pants as you go or just cinching up the belt? I've lost about 6-7 lbs (pretty much around my stomach) since I quit drinking in March, and I'm SWIMMING in my dress trousers and chinos. I'm glad to have realized booze was becoming an issue before any serious damage was done in my life, but I'm not looking forward to buying a whole new wardrobe, and worse, I'm not sure if I should start buying now or stabilize for several months before I make any purchases.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Are you buying new pants as you go or just cinching up the belt? I've lost about 6-7 lbs (pretty much around my stomach) since I quit drinking in March, and I'm SWIMMING in my dress trousers and chinos. I'm glad to have realized booze was becoming an issue before any serious damage was done in my life, but I'm not looking forward to buying a whole new wardrobe, and worse, I'm not sure if I should start buying now or stabilize for several months before I make any purchases.
    For me, I had to resort to buying intermediate clothes for myself. Old navy chinos and jeans saved my butt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Overdue for a check-in here. I was reluctant to step on the scale as the last few weeks have been marked by travel, graduation festivities, weddings, and some solid stress eating. My gym also shut down for a week so I missed a bunch of workouts. But somehow, I came in at 173.5 this morning -- exactly what I was at the end of my last hard week of training. I am pretty pleased that after all that, I may still end the week at my lowest overall weight.

HOWEVER, I am coming up on what I'm sure will be a rough patch: a cross-country move, new job, new city in the next month. A lot of personal, emotional, and financial stress. I also have to find (and afford) a new gym. Binge-eating is my go-to response to these sorts of stressors, so this is going to be quite a challenge. I'm going to try to hit diet and exercise really hard until I leave, but what other tips do y'all have?

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I am cinching up my pants AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!! I'm suffering through with the cinched up pants for now. I am worried that once winter sets in my weight will go back up. So for now, I'm suffering in silence. Although my wife is not suffering in silence because I keep saying to her each time I get dressed "none of my pants fit anymore!!"

Congrats on quitting drinking. I drastically cut back on my beer intake and a) I feel a hell of a lot better about myself, b) I lost weight and c) I saved a bit of money to spend on other things.

The no beer/booze thing is interesting. I sort of lost the urge to drink now. In the past I'd finish a workout and want to have a beer to relax and celebrate. Now I just think of all the additional calories I'm packing on after working so hard to get rid of them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)
    @elpenguinoloco - Don't keep junk food around your home would help. I realize I cannot be left in a house with chips otherwise we find each other like teenagers whose parents don't want to be together. As for when you will likely be eating out, make yourself eat better by saying, 1 out of 3 meals should be a salad or something like that or say, I will eat better this week and will give myself a treat 5 days out. You have to mentally trick yourself.
    @DocDave - I don't know your end goal but you could always tailor the waist smaller though the couple times I did this, pocket placement seemed off.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I am cinching up my pants AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!! I'm suffering through with the cinched up pants for now. I am worried that once winter sets in my weight will go back up. So for now, I'm suffering in silence. Although my wife is not suffering in silence because I keep saying to her each time I get dressed "none of my pants fit anymore!!"

Congrats on quitting drinking. I drastically cut back on my beer intake and a) I feel a hell of a lot better about myself, b) I lost weight and c) I saved a bit of money to spend on other things.

The no beer/booze thing is interesting. I sort of lost the urge to drink now. In the past I'd finish a workout and want to have a beer to relax and celebrate. Now I just think of all the additional calories I'm packing on after working so hard to get rid of them.
    Thanks!
    I hear you on the cinching. I keep pushing the cinched part behind my jacket, and it's better but not great.

As far as alcohol goes, it was a years long slow burn of "Ok, tonight I'm not going to drink more than this" and then increasingly finding that I wasn't working within those parameters. Then add in a very stressful 2017 and 2018 (losing loved ones, remodeling a new home, etc.) and anyone can develop an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I was really helped by Joe's recommendation on The Alcohol Experiment (which is excellent, not just for alcohol use, but for overall better mindfulness) and a few emails he and I exchanged over the last few months. Like many things, the more you don't do something, the easier it is not to do that thing. This works both positively and negatively. Plus, amazingly there are now multiple craft NA brews available that are pretty good, so it's been a net positive (BP is down from 150/95 to 118/77, resting heart rate went from 80ish to 65, more money in the bank and dramatically better sleep, along with my wife finding me funnier.)