Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peacoat suggestions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Peacoat suggestions

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new peacoat this year and would like to shop around before it get's too cold out. It get's down into the 20's 30's regularly where I live so I need something relatively warm.

I'd really like to find a traditional looking, slim fitting, navy peacoat for under $350. I like the way the J Crew dock peacoat looks online, but some of the reviews say it seems to fit a bit "boxy". It's also not in stock in navy at the moment.

Does anyone have experience with the J Crew peacoat? How did it fit?

Or, are there any other places/brands I should look into as an alternative?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new peacoat this year and would like to shop around before it get's too cold out. It get's down into the 20's 30's regularly where I live so I need something relatively warm.

I'd really like to find a traditional looking, slim fitting, navy peacoat for under $350. I like the way the J Crew dock peacoat looks online, but some of the reviews say it seems to fit a bit "boxy". It's also not in stock in navy at the moment.

The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat gets universal praise. It's a bit pricier, though. I see it listed for $695 regular price on the first couple of google results. But I've seen it go on major discount in the past -- almost always listed on the Dappered home page when it does.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    It isn't out right now, but Bonobos typically has a peacoat each fall/winter season. I got mine as part of an end-of-season sale and it hit all the right notes for me. YMMV on fit, plus who knows if they'll spice it up this year, keep it traditional, etc. (or jack the price up!).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Hey Guys,

The dock peacoat has a peculiar fit that is a bit hourglass-shaped. It's perfectly tailored at the chest and waist (and is even quite trim in the shoulders and biceps), and then it flares out widely at the hips. It's a pretty feminine look, and it's surprising why they haven't fixed this cut.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    The dock peacoat has a peculiar fit that is a bit hourglass-shaped. It's perfectly tailored at the chest and waist (and is even quite trim in the shoulders and biceps), and then it flares out widely at the hips. It's a pretty feminine look, and it's surprising why they haven't fixed this cut.
    Their Ludlow jackets fit me that way. That's why I've never been a fan.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1501 Post(s)
    Anyone had any luck with their local Army/Navy surplus?

The Bonobos might be worth a look though...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Anyone had any luck with their local Army/Navy surplus?

The Bonobos might be worth a look though...

Based on my experience, the key word there is “local.” I’ve found the sizing on military surplus goods to be, um, generous. So, you want to be able to try it on before you buy. Also, I think if you look, you can find better quality at a better price elsewhere for most items.

I picked up this in Navy the day after Christmas 2017 for $99. I’ve been happy with it.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael...eacoat/3815683

I am a fan of Billy Reid (at least his stuff from 8-10 years ago; his recent collections haven’t been for me) and his Bond peacoat, but I could not justify the extra $600. Believe me, I tried.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1501 Post(s)
    I owned a peacoat that I bought from BR. I hardly wore the thing and ended up giving it away. Now all this talk of peacoats has me thinking I need to pick one up again. And making matters even more confusing is the link that @caktaylor shared to Nordy's has the peacoat on sale. Plus with winter on the way here it's kind of tempting to pick it up.