Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Boots

Anyone have a recommendation for fall boots? I was looking at the Higgins Mill boots from AE but am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Don't own a Higgins Mill but it gets a lot a love. A possible plain-toe alternative is the L L Bean Katahdin boot; very nicely built, very nice burgundy color, made by Chippewa. Maybe a wee bit less dressy than Higgins Mill but I still wear mine with casual chinos.
    If you are considering other style options, I just purchased a pair of AE Normandies (cap-toe) and would recommend them to anyone interested. Very soft, very comfortable. Great with jeans, cords and casual chinos (if you use the matching leather laces that come with the boot).
    I have not seen them in person but if I had the money I would've already bought a pair of the new Florsheim "Foundry" boots. I especially like the plain-toe chukka.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I would look at some of the brands here and choose which style you like best:

https://www.heddels.com/2017/05/the-...d-end-level-2/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Don't own a Higgins Mill but it gets a lot a love. A possible plain-toe alternative is the L L Bean Katahdin boot; very nicely built, very nice burgundy color, made by Chippewa. Maybe a wee bit less dressy than Higgins Mill but I still wear mine with casual chinos.
    If you are considering other style options, I just purchased a pair of AE Normandies (cap-toe) and would recommend them to anyone interested. Very soft, very comfortable. Great with jeans, cords and casual chinos (if you use the matching leather laces that come with the boot).
    I have not seen them in person but if I had the money I would've already bought a pair of the new Florsheim "Foundry" boots. I especially like the plain-toe chukka.
    I'll second AE Normandys. The leather is so soft, it makes the boots supremely comfortable. I have worn them in tourist mode, waking over 10mi/day for multiple days in a row, with nothing but comfortable feet. They are one AE product that's well worth it at full price.

AE, as they often do, manages to post pics of them that make them look oddly shaped. They are not, in real life. They are standard capped toe service boots in shape. Just toss those odd yellow laces immediately and put on the brown laces they mercifully come with.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    641 Post(s)
    I've always liked the AE Daltons in oxblood.

I haven't seen these in person, but they sure look good online, and I love the Cobbler Union oxfords I have:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...t-wingtip-boot

Cobbler union has some other great looking boots as well.

And if you want to stand out and have the $$$, you could always go with button boots from jfitzpatrickcom

All that said, if you are looking at Higgins Mill, you probably want something more casual. I don't have any experience with them, but I've read a lot of good things about Wolverine's 1000 mile boot. Here's a great casual style:

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/1000...0-mile&start=1

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2109 Post(s)
    I have Higgins Mills and love them. They do a good job straddling the line of being casual and work-boot-esque while still looking sleek enough to pull duty in a business casual setting. I wear them at work with chinos and a casual sportcoat/tie.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I own too many boots, so here are some quick words on a few of the brands I have:

Taft boots are quite nice, but unless you're splurging for the expensive GYW Dragon Boot (which I haven't tried) they are roughly 100% dress boot and 0% work boot. The combination leather & rubber sole also means that, while they have some traction, they aren't good when it's wet and you can't just attach a half-sole to them.

Someone gave me an old pair of LL Bean Katahdin boots on the condition I restore them (they were heavily worn). A simple conditioning and polishing spruced them up visually, but I'd say after multiple years of this person wearing them they still aren't fully broken-in yet. Look nice, but prepare your feet for a slog of a break-in period. They might be able to pass as a dress boot given the style, but in terms of feel are 100% work boot.

Got a pair of used Meermin boots on ebay (the wingtip medallion variant), and they're exceptionally nice. I've read these require a while to break in, but these are pliable and comfortable. The rubber sole is also well done. Not cheap boots if you're buying new, though.

I have two different pairs of Johnston & Murphy boots from ebay - if you're going to buy J&M, there seems to be a lot of their shoes on ebay that are minimally used and a heck of a lot cheaper. Quality varies pretty wildly between those two pairs - one has excellent leather but cheap cemented construction, cheap soles, and poor comfort, the other pair has cheap leather but is decently comfortable and has a good pair of all-weather soles. Too much of a crapshoot getting J&M, in my opinion.

For a cheaper option, I have a pair of Golden Fox moc-toe boots that are heavy but quite nice. Suspiciously cheap on Amazon, given the quality of the leather for the pair I bought (pull-up leather) and that they claim to be GYW. They're a little bulky for pure dress setting, but surprisingly comfortable and the sole holds up to adverse conditions quite well. I haven't tried their boondocker boot, but given how much I like the ones I have I'll probably try them some day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots (McClean model that was a Nordstrom exclusive - it is basically a standard 1000 miler with a captoe). I like them a lot. More on the casual end, but I wear them with jeans and chinos/khakis. I don’t see them going more formal than that.

My wife also made me get a pair of AE Daltons. I got the dark chili color. Despite being a boot, I wear them year round. They are on the dressier side of things and I wear them with suits/slacks, chinos, and dark jeans. I probably should have tried on more sizes as they don’t fit my feet perfectly well. I need them stretched a bit in the toe box.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    641 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunky View Post
    I own too many boots, so here are some quick words on a few of the brands I have:

Taft boots are quite nice, but unless you're splurging for the expensive GYW Dragon Boot (which I haven't tried) they are roughly 100% dress boot and 0% work boot. The combination leather & rubber sole also means that, while they have some traction, they aren't good when it's wet and you can't just attach a half-sole to them.

Someone gave me an old pair of LL Bean Katahdin boots on the condition I restore them (they were heavily worn). A simple conditioning and polishing spruced them up visually, but I'd say after multiple years of this person wearing them they still aren't fully broken-in yet. Look nice, but prepare your feet for a slog of a break-in period. They might be able to pass as a dress boot given the style, but in terms of feel are 100% work boot.

Got a pair of used Meermin boots on ebay (the wingtip medallion variant), and they're exceptionally nice. I've read these require a while to break in, but these are pliable and comfortable. The rubber sole is also well done. Not cheap boots if you're buying new, though.

I have two different pairs of Johnston & Murphy boots from ebay - if you're going to buy J&M, there seems to be a lot of their shoes on ebay that are minimally used and a heck of a lot cheaper. Quality varies pretty wildly between those two pairs - one has excellent leather but cheap cemented construction, cheap soles, and poor comfort, the other pair has cheap leather but is decently comfortable and has a good pair of all-weather soles. Too much of a crapshoot getting J&M, in my opinion.

For a cheaper option, I have a pair of Golden Fox moc-toe boots that are heavy but quite nice. Suspiciously cheap on Amazon, given the quality of the leather for the pair I bought (pull-up leather) and that they claim to be GYW. They're a little bulky for pure dress setting, but surprisingly comfortable and the sole holds up to adverse conditions quite well. I haven't tried their boondocker boot, but given how much I like the ones I have I'll probably try them some day.
    That doesn't sound like too many boots to me. No such thing. Except for my wife. Who just counted her boots today. 50 pairs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    A few years ago I would have considered more than 1 pair to be too many... these days I think I have close to 10? Nowhere near 50, mind, but definitely more than I need.

I also have some a few pairs of Chukkas, but those seemed outside this question. And a pair of Oak Street Bootmakers Natural Trench Boots (bought gently used ones on ebay for a relative steal) - but those are probably outside OP's price range. And, to be honest, outside of looking phenomenal I don't have a lot to recommend about.

I also have a pair of Wolverine work boots I bought more than a decade ago. Not 1000 miles or anything, just generic work boots. Got them for less than a hundred bucks and almost certainly cemented, but they've held up remarkably well through a decade+ of use and abuse, including many years where I didn't know the first thing about leather care. I even used them as rain boots and snow boots for years and years... and yet the leather's held up and the soles were thick enough that there's still plenty of rubber left. Insole is beginning to disintegrate, but that's easy enough to replace.