Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Non-Seiko/Orient/Timex Watches

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    918 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyone View Post
    So many options, really. It depends on your lifestyle and style in general. Frankly, I have never heard of Dan Henry but understand it's a microbrand founded in 2016. More of a fashion watch, IMO.
    if you had never heard of it its kind of hard to form that opinion right away. In the watch world, a fashion watch means a company that subcontracts out a watches manufacturing, does high volume runs, and specifically targets current trends at a markup. It is the antithesis of a true microbrand. A microbrand is usually a small team that does limited production runs of watches they want to do. I am not a Dan Henry fan boy and have never even owned one but they are not a Michael Kohrs, Dan Wellington, Tommy Hilfiger watch company. Those are fashion brands. I will say I am a microbrand fan boy though. So there is that disclaimer. There are some microbrands out there that produce watches that are superior to their price class in features and production value though. Steinhart, NTH, Borealis, Christopher Ward (if you can still call that one micro) just to name a few. I would give my right....thumb...for a Halio Seaforth with gilt dial. Raven is really nice too. Helm, Marc & Sons, Scurfa, Zelos, Melbourne Watch Company, Tissel, Maratac, Spinnaker, Farer...

Take a look at this website for under $500, especially Squale and Steinhart: http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...filter%5B%5D=9

One brand that also come to mind as a stepping stone is Tissot with their Heritage collection for dressier watches, for example: https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t66-1-723-33.html

You may also want to check Glycine watches as well as Hamilton and Frederique Constant. All very solid and reputable brands. As for the Speedmaster, nothing really matches the real thing in my opinion. Yes, you don't get the day/date function and have to wind it manually every so often but that's just a part of the history that comes with it.
    all good brands. Cant go wrong with a single one.
    Last edited by idvsego; October 16th, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    918 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    I'm more looking for aspects and looks of nice watches to try out before going all-in. Right now my grail is a classic Speedy Pro, but I use the day and date functions on my Orient a lot, so I'd want to test out how life without those features, but with a chronograph, for example, would be. Plus it'd be a real shame to get a Fifty Fathoms in the mail that annoyingly didn't fit under my shirt cuffs. $500 would be just about top dollar for me, anything more than that and I'd just hold out for an Omega, old Rolex, Tudor, JLC, etc.
    If you are just looking for aspects then that is super easy. same with dimensions. One thing I will say is that soemthing like the Fifty Fathoms has a great resale value so if you get it and soemhow dont like it you can recoup your costs. A seiko 5 with simlair proportions will not bring the same % return value. But its a low cost so you m ight be OK writing it off as a loss. Thats a personal decision.

If you are just looking for a chrono with no day/date to give that a run then Seiko and Casio have a plethora of options at very affordable prices. If you want to break out of those like you stated then there is always timex. Or step up to some of the tissot or certina options. Hamilton has some neat chronos too. Your stated requirements are super broad so you shouldnt have any trouble finding something. If you start pinning down some other requirements I could give some specific examples but I say check out jomashop and long island watches to see if anything tickles your fancy. Also time bum and worn and wound for reviews and info.

I hate to keep circling back to seiko but there is a seiko 5 finder website that helps you sort through the vast selection based on specific paramaters.

http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)
    I love my two Citizen Eco-Drive watches. Lots of them for under $300. You can buy some for around $100 on jomashop. Is that budget enough?

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    There was a really good posting on Hodinkee a month or so ago about some micro brands worth checking out. If you haven't been to the site recently it's worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk