Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to Rebuy full Wardrobe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Need to Rebuy full Wardrobe

Hi all -

I moved recently, and my movers lost everything. I moved into a new apartment with a suitcase and that was all.

I am going to need to rebuy almost an entire wardrobe. Over the past couple weeks, I've amassed ~$3,000 in a good variety of clothes, maybe a bit of a focus on fall. I am budgeting ~$15K - $35K on additional clothing expenses (defined broadly -- includes shoes, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything from general to specific works.

Most pertinent info:.
    • I'm tall, pretty lean, and pretty large (usually wear tailored/slim Large-Tall / 44L), so fit is always difficult and I typically get a lot tailored
    • I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me
    • I live in Manhattan and walk to work, so having a good mix of weather-appropriate clothes is very important - I sweat like crazy in the summer and hate the cold in the winter
    • I'm in my 30s and an exec, but my local office is startupy, so people wear everything from sweatpants/hoodies to 3-piece suits (but often manage to be stylish even when dressing down, since it's Manhattan)

The good thing is that I can afford to be more purposeful, with a cohesive and comprehensive strategy. I had a few ideas:
    • Write out approximate quantities and types of clothes, with some specificity, and then aim in that direction
    • Never buy anything unless it's on sale or a good deal from a place that never has sales
    • Find the few lines that fit well OTR and focus on buying from there, on sale, and/or narrow in my M2M measurements, and start by ordering an item or two from ~10 places and seeing what fits best
    • See if any tailors or retailers will negotiate discounts based on bulk purchases

Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on suit brands between SuitSupply (where I'll typically need separates), Oliver Wicks, KnotStandard, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc.?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
    Hi all -

I moved recently, and my movers lost everything. I moved into a new apartment with a suitcase and that was all.

I am going to need to rebuy almost an entire wardrobe. Over the past couple weeks, I've amassed ~$3,000 in a good variety of clothes, maybe a bit of a focus on fall. I am budgeting ~$15K - $35K on additional clothing expenses (defined broadly -- includes shoes, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything from general to specific works.

Most pertinent info:.
    • I'm tall, pretty lean, and pretty large (usually wear tailored/slim Large-Tall / 44L), so fit is always difficult and I typically get a lot tailored
    • I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me
    • I live in Manhattan and walk to work, so having a good mix of weather-appropriate clothes is very important - I sweat like crazy in the summer and hate the cold in the winter
    • I'm in my 30s and an exec, but my local office is startupy, so people wear everything from sweatpants/hoodies to 3-piece suits (but often manage to be stylish even when dressing down, since it's Manhattan)

The good thing is that I can afford to be more purposeful, with a cohesive and comprehensive strategy. I had a few ideas:
    • Write out approximate quantities and types of clothes, with some specificity, and then aim in that direction
    • Never buy anything unless it's on sale or a good deal from a place that never has sales
    • Find the few lines that fit well OTR and focus on buying from there, on sale, and/or narrow in my M2M measurements, and start by ordering an item or two from ~10 places and seeing what fits best
    • See if any tailors or retailers will negotiate discounts based on bulk purchases

Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on suit brands between SuitSupply (where I'll typically need separates), Oliver Wicks, KnotStandard, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc.?

Extremely sorry to hear this. Were you able to get any compensation from the moving company? If not, I would trash the company on BBB, Yelp, etc. I have simply never heard of a moving company losing things, much less your entire wardrobe.

Bonobos is having a great sale right now. Also, Spier and Mackay is debuting many new items for fall and winter. They are my go to for suits, work clothes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    I assume you mean 1.5 to 3.5k not 15-35K?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Justin Fitzpatrick just opened a store in Manhattan.

I suggest a visit to try some of his shoes. I love mine. By appointment only.

https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/our-showrooms

l'm tall and fairly trim as well. I'm usually a 43L. If you need a couple of suits, you can almost always find some Brooks Brothers Regent fit on sale on a 2 for 1 on their website--which works out to about $1200 for both. I like mine a lot.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; October 15th, 2018 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I assume you mean 1.5 to 3.5k not 15-35K?
    I don't think so. He's said he's already spent $3,000.

Well, maybe you're right. But you're ruining my fantasy. I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes fantasizing what I'd buy if I had $30,000 to spend on a new wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I don't think so. He's said he's already spent $3,000.

Well, maybe you're right. But you're ruining my fantasy. I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes fantasizing what I'd buy if I had $30,000 to spend on a new wardrobe.
    Man I cannot fathom spending that much. Although I assume if I calculated what I’ve spent maybe it’s not too far off? Just if I had 15-30k sitting around the last thing I’d consider is spending all of that on clothes when it seems there are a lot of deals to be had etc.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I'd probably go pretty streamlined if I had to start all over again. 2-3 suits (dark blue and dark grey), 3-5 sportcoats (dark blue, dark grey, brown), 2-3 grey trousers, a dozen shirts in blue and white, a dozen ties (mostly grenadines and foulards), grey and khaki chinos, jeans, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, a smattering of appropriate outerwear. Black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, work boots, sneakers, boat shoes.

In my fantasy alternate life where I'm even more eccentric than I am in reality, I wear blue suits exclusively regardless of the occasion. Maybe I would indulge that weirdness for a bit.
    Ben

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'd probably go pretty streamlined if I had to start all over again. 2-3 suits (dark blue and dark grey), 3-5 sportcoats (dark blue, dark grey, brown), 2-3 grey trousers, a dozen shirts in blue and white, a dozen ties (mostly grenadines and foulards), grey and khaki chinos, jeans, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, a smattering of appropriate outerwear. Black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, work boots, sneakers, boat shoes.

In my fantasy alternate life where I'm even more eccentric than I am in reality, I wear blue suits exclusively regardless of the occasion. Maybe I would indulge that weirdness for a bit.
    So, with you it would $5,000 or less for the clothing, with $25,000 on watches, yes?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    So, with you it would $5,000 or less for the clothing, with $25,000 on watches, yes?

Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
    A heads-up on Indochino: it's all polyester linings. They always lined their pants in poly, and last year stopped offering Bemberg as an option for jackets.