Thread: Has anyone ever tried waxing their own jackets/gear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Has anyone ever tried waxing their own jackets/gear?

There are plenty of good waxed jacket options out there but I came across these articles offering a DIY approach:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...hing-and-gear/

https://theidleman.com/manual/advice...x-your-jacket/

I've had this jacket for about a year and I'm thinking about waxing it myself.

Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what's your take on the instructions laid out in the articles above? Do you think waxing the Hurley jacket I posted would make sense?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)
    I waxed my m45 style jacket. Definitely recommend that you use a heat gun. Using a hair dryer like I did takes forever. Also, go lightler with the pressure on the wax and do multiple coats. You don't want to rub so much wax in a single coat that it starts flaking off before you melt it in. I used fjallraven's Greenland wax, but otter wax is a good one as well. You'll probably need a full size bar. There's also barbour's method, you use their wax, melt it double boiler style, and brush/sponge it on while dabbing up the excess.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I waxed my own jacket before. It was a buttload of work and I was not pleased with the result - very uneven and blotchy, regardless of how much I tried to coat and melt uniformly. I believe I used Barbour's product or possibly something from Orvis, I can't remember.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Halfway into the subject line, I really thought you were going a different way with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    I waxed a pair of jeans a couple of years ago and I am not pleased with the process. I saw/read on Dan Trepanier's website how he had waxed a pair of his jeans I thought the look was pretty good. So I decided to give it a shot myself.

I either didn't know what I was doing (entirely possible as I was learning from a YouTube video) or I did it wrong (again, entirely possible) but the end result was less than inspiring. I still wore the jeans (they were a brand new pair of pants after all) but I never did quite achieve the look I was going for.
    Last edited by DocDave; October 15th, 2018 at 08:53 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    I used otter wax (https://www.otterwax.com/) to wax a swedish army jacket I got on ebay. My issue wasn't with applying the wax, which was somewhat laborious, but ultimately seemed to come out okay. The issue was that the wax didn't ever seem to be fully dried or finished. It continued to smell months after, and it rubbed off on other stuff. So I just chalked it up to a failed experiment.