Thread: Anybody have a Jack Mason watch?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)

Anybody have a Jack Mason watch?

Facebook cookie marketing is starting to work on me. I keep meaning tog et a qairtz beater and was planning on a maratac mid pilot in quartz if I can find one but Mason has some good looking stuff. Any opinions?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have an opinion.

If you buy the Jack Mason watch, it won’t satisfy your desire for the Maratac. And, you will end up buying the Maratac anyway. So, you should buy the Jack Mason watch ONLY if you want 2 new watches or you can find a home for it once you get tired of it.

This is not a mark against Jack Mason watches. I have no personal experience with them, so I cannot speak for their quality. It is about the fact that you don’t really want the Jack Mason and you won’t be satisfied with it in the long run. (Or probably in the short run, too.)

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1768 Post(s)
    I have a coworker who owns one. It’s the sort of chronograph where they decided to make the big seconds hand the running seconds and put the chronograph seconds hand in a subdial. Meh.

To me they exist in the category of “fashion watches” which makes it hard for me to get excited about them, even if some of their designs are okay (though many of those are extremely derivative, which is a whole ‘nother ball of wax aside from the fashion watch issue).

FWIW I bought the Maratac quartz twice and both watches arrived with serious defects - the crown stem popped out of one when I went to set the time, and on the other, one of the hands just freely spun around the dial. Maybe that was just a bad batch but I am extremely skeptical of the quality control on those watches.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post
    I have an opinion.

If you buy the Jack Mason watch, it won’t satisfy your desire for the Maratac. And, you will end up buying the Maratac anyway. So, you should buy the Jack Mason watch ONLY if you want 2 new watches or you can find a home for it once you get tired of it.

This is not a mark against Jack Mason watches. I have no personal experience with them, so I cannot speak for their quality. It is about the fact that you don’t really want the Jack Mason and you won’t be satisfied with it in the long run. (Or probably in the short run, too.)
    Wise wise statement. But the maratac quartz is impossible to find so if I did find one i would probably sell the mason. I would also buy a mason that was different enough to coexist if I kept.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I have a coworker who owns one. It’s the sort of chronograph where they decided to make the big seconds hand the running seconds and put the chronograph seconds hand in a subdial. Meh.

To me they exist in the category of “fashion watches” which makes it hard for me to get excited about them, even if some of their designs are okay (though many of those are extremely derivative, which is a whole ‘nother ball of wax aside from the fashion watch issue).

FWIW I bought the Maratac quartz twice and both watches arrived with serious defects - the crown stem popped out of one when I went to set the time, and on the other, one of the hands just freely spun around the dial. Maybe that was just a bad batch but I am extremely skeptical of the quality control on those watches.
    hmm. Myabe thats why they stopped making them and they are hard to find used. I guess I should start a new thread of "find me a good substitute for maratac". Irony is I usually hate pilot watches. I just liked the maratac specifically. Finding a solid quartz to fill my need for something better than a timex, less than a hamilton. Wenger is currently my leader I guess. I love the Glycine Combat 6 Classic but its another auto.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Is this what you are looking for? (Picture from Google search.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post
    Is this what you are looking for? (Picture from Google search.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes, thats the one. In the 39mm size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    No idea about the brand, but here is something similar

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Mess.../me108-42b.htm

Edit: Also check out Aristo and Laco on there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    No idea about the brand, but here is something similar

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Mess.../me108-42b.htm

Edit: Also check out Aristo and Laco on there.
    yeah, the dial is a pretty standard pilots dial. I dont really like pilot dials though. I just liked the construction of the maratac and the hands. less obtrusive than traditional pilot hands and they have a black edge you cant see well in photos. A mild dome to it too. And I like how there isnt an airplan or gauge lines on the dial.
    And the triangle at 12 has the two dots pushed up into the minute track. Its just a more subtle interpretation on the pilot dial. Dang it. I just need to get the maratac again I guess.

and if I got a mason it would be something like this but with a black dial if I could find it...

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jack-ma...white%2F%20tan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I agree with caktaylor that if you want a Maratac then you should wait and find a Maratac. That said, I have one Jack Mason watch and have been happy with it.

I ordered it during a sale so I didn't see the real version until I received it in the mail. I was very pleased. From a looks perspective the watch exceeds its price point. I have not opened the back of the watch yet, but the exterior workmanship is terrific. My only complaint was that the leather strap took a few weeks to break in. I have a lot of nicer watches that I cycle through during the month, but my Jack Mason is in the heavy (or heavier) rotation group since I like it a lot. It's a little thicker than most quartz watches, so it looks and feels like an automatic.