Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on my watch color conundrum.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1768 Post(s)

Your thoughts on my watch color conundrum.

Some of you may recall that a couple years ago, I purchased a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in the 34mm case size with the olive green dial.

I really liked the watch... but... after owning it for a while I felt the orange accents clashed with most of my wardrobe. I ended up selling it and getting a silver-rhodium Datejust, which I have also recently sold.

Overall I liked the OP better... the size, the fully brushed case, the simplicity of the dial, etc. So I find myself looking at acquiring a new one at some point (probably after the holidays). But I am getting pretty hung up on color selection.

The blue dial is stunning in and of itself but I don't love the non-lumed 3-6-9 markers and I wish the watch had the pop of contrasting color like the other newer OP models.

Still on the sedate side but slightly more fun with the pops of robin blue is the champagne dial. This could potentially scratch my itch for gold without breaking the bank, and would not be redundant with any of the other watches (mostly black/dark dials) in my collection.

One of the new 2018 Basel releases would be the white dial (39mm model shown below). There is an undeniable appeal to that crisp, clean dial, but at the same time I wonder if it is almost a bit boring - and possibly redundant of my Polar Explorer II.

The wild card option that has been drawing my attention recently is the red grape dial. This is definitely a bit out there, possibly a little gender-bending, and I'll admit I would prefer the contrasting pips to be red (as in the 39mm model) rather than lavender. I think this would probably work with most of my wardrobe (I wear lots of greys, blues, and browns) but it's hard to say, and it's definitely more eye-catching and less neutral than all the other choices. But it would definitely not create any redundancies in my collection.

Not on the list is the black dial, which is not only "meh" but also 100% redundant to my Tudor BB36.

Thoughts?
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    I feel like that blue might be more dynamic in person. Computer renderings are a ridiculous way for watch makers to display their goods. I have never understood using them.

I dig the champagne dial but I would wan the blue to be a touch more subdued. Its a strong contender though. I wore my fossil del rey a lot more than I expected. Not even close to the same quality but a similar color scheme.

I agree about the white. Probably my favorite but yes, redundant on polar explorer by a lot.

Red Grape...not my jam (see what i did there?) but I dont know your wardrobe "color wheel". If I had to choose a limiting color scheme it would be your original olive/orange. That was a sweet watch.

So I would say blue or champagne are potentially the best choices for myself. Just in case you are looking for Dappered Christmas gift ideas.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Of those watches, I prefer the blue face. Plus, blue goes with everything, so that watch will be versatile.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    917 Post(s)
    I was going to suggest the grape as an idea, so glad it's on the list. Agree on the pip color, but that's very minor relative to the overall color/shape/size (and would maybe throw it into same issue you had with your olive dial w orange).

Another idea is that the OP 36mm in blue does get you lumed numbers. I recall folks using those to frankenstein a blue dial Explorer I 36mm -- obviously a bit larger but not 39/40 range.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Grape. Grape all the way. It's so different but not loud.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    I went with white for my baume mercier so it would go with everything. Since youíve got that covered Iíd probably go gold (seems so rolex) or the purple.

Iíve also contimated getting the purple one you posted. Purple is my favorite color. That watxh is unique, classy and not common. At least Iíve never seen one in public and I tend to notice watches.

If you get that one please post pics Iíd love to see in person. Also if you donít mind me asking where do you purchase and flip your Rolexís? Iíve been debating getting one to pass down but am weary of seeing used ones online.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I’ve been debating getting one to pass down but am weary of seeing used ones online.
    davidsw, takuya, Bob's Watches, SD Watches, Nashville Watch, DeMesy, OC Watch Guy, Newport Watch Club, or just go to Rolex Forums for sale section, most of those guys post there.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)
    The grape is awesome and unusual. It sounds like you have a collection, so you can wear others when that doesn't work. I might not get it if I had only one or two watches, but it sounds like you don't have that problem.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Grape for sure.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    892 Post(s)
    Why not the blue OP with green accents?