Thread: Leather portfolios

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)

Leather portfolios

What are you thoughts on leather portfolios (see below). I have a messenger bag for work and it's ok. I mean it is nice bag and all, but as I was slinging it over my shoulder today after work I couldn't help but wonder if I was a) doing damage to my suit and b) if I could get away with something slimmer.

All I take with me to work is my notebook computer and maybe a couple of papers. Oh, and glasses too. So I was thinking that maybe I could get away with something a little more minimalist. Of course in all of my professional career I have never used a portfolio. It has always been a messenger bag of sorts. And as well know, change is difficult.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    I tried carrying around a portfolio and found the lack of a handle annoying. Even absent a shoulder strap, being able to hook the item on a finger made dealing with everything from keys, to additional bags, to door handles much more convenient.

That said, I keep a shoulder strap on my soft-sided briefcase. I generally don't use it, but if I'm walking a long way, or carrying other items, it's more comfortable (business-durable laptops with number pads are inevitably large and heavy).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    i dont wear suits often but i think the look of carrying your briefcase looks better - petty i know but i only walk from the car to my office and back... it is about 40 steps in total lol.

With that said, i think shoulder straps would ruin a suit. I just took my should straps off my bag and carry it that way . I have often kinda wanted a little leather portfolio for my laptop only when going to a meeting or something quick.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)
    I think you'd get more use out of something like this, and just ditch the strap. https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...color=WOODBURY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I bought an Ernest Alexander black leather portfolio at a sample sale a few years back. It zips all around, and has a small handle giving me the option to carry it like a briefcase if I do so desire. I fits my computer, a notebook, a pen, my cards, and maybe another manilla folder. It does not, however fit my glasses, or computer charger, etc. Therefore, I usually only use it to visit clients.

For everyday use, I recently dug up the first briefcase my parents bought me for my first job out of college in 1999. It has a great, old prep look to it, and fits everything. I would @neminat that something more along these lines is probably better for everyday use.

Just my two cents.
    instagram.com/cutandbasted
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I think you'd get more use out of something like this, and just ditch the strap. https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...color=WOODBURY
    Thank you, could not bring to mind the term for a portfolio with handles: attaché case.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    Linjer has a portfolio with a handle. I have their briefcase and it's one of my favorite purchases of all time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I find portfolios inconvenient to carry. Go with something with a handle. I prefer handles and the option for a shoulder strap. That way I can use the strap if I have to carry the bag a long distance, or just the handles for quick trips.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I have one that i actually like for carrying around a notebook and papers but i dont usually just carry it by itself. It goes into a bigger bag while i'm traveling and then if im just walking around within a building i'll use the portfolio to carry my notebook/papers/pens and can even fit my macbook in it too if i need it. I got mine from my fraternity though and it features the fraternity crest but pretty discreetly, works for me but that also means i can't really recomend the one i have for you.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Hmm. Thanks Gents. I guess I'll stick with my leather messenger bag for the time being. Cheers.