Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Selvedge question

  1. #11
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    I dunno man, the Gustin 1968 Cone Mills is only 68 + shipping, and that factors the human cost, too, since the fabric is grown and made in the US AND sewn in the US. So value wise, I'd say Gustin's 1968 is much better. Currently no active campaign for it, but it's been popping up frequently this past year. Currently they've got the Cone khaki overdye for $79, Cone stretch for $81.

    I'm actually wearing them right now, breaking in really nicely after a year. Think I've only tub soaked/"washed" them twice.

    But $30 is < $68.
    Are they returnable? I've always been concerned with ordering from them because my understanding is if you don't get the sizing right you're SOL. I usually get my jeans from DSTLD - they are made in the USA but I think the fabric is produced elsewhere because they don't tell you where it's from (if it was from the U.S. I'm guessing they'd broadcast the info). Most of their denim is raw sanforized but not selvedge but they do occasionally do selvedge runs too.

    On the raw denim staining issue - I have never had a problem with my raw denim jeans staining furniture. They only ones I've ever owned are from DSTLD (I figured at their price point if I thought raw was too much hassle I wasn't out $150+). Haven't had an issue and have bought a few pair from them. They're fading nicely.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  2. #12
    Varsity Member Nandyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Are they returnable? I've always been concerned with ordering from them because my understanding is if you don't get the sizing right you're SOL. I usually get my jeans from DSTLD - they are made in the USA but I think the fabric is produced elsewhere because they don't tell you where it's from (if it was from the U.S. I'm guessing they'd broadcast the info). Most of their denim is raw sanforized but not selvedge but they do occasionally do selvedge runs too.

    On the raw denim staining issue - I have never had a problem with my raw denim jeans staining furniture. They only ones I've ever owned are from DSTLD (I figured at their price point if I thought raw was too much hassle I wasn't out $150+). Haven't had an issue and have bought a few pair from them. They're fading nicely.
    I believe you can return for store credit or exchange for size if one is available (cancelled order or somebody else's return). The sizing info they give you for the garments is pretty spot on/reliable so you can measure jeans that already fit you to compare. Most of them will be tight when you start out but they do break in and the waist relaxes pretty much exactly as they state (1/2"-1") and the thighs break in a bit as well, maybe 1/2 inch, more if you need it by getting them damp then doing lunges/squats, etc and wearing them until dry (had to do that after working in more leg days).

    You can also find gently used ones on eBay, I've had good luck with a couple pairs that way. Much cheaper and no wait, and most sellers allow returns.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Yeah. I understand that raw and selvedge are different. I don’t want stacks or fades kr soaking or any of that. But selvedge i could do. Just didn’t know if, besides the edging, there was a difference with “normal” denim.

    I might try the Amazon ones. I like a bit of stretch.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Just picked a pair up today. They’re not exactly vanity sized... but that could be on me not having worn jeans w/o any stretch for quite a while. Anyone have an opinion about their stretchabilty?

  5. #15
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

    Selvedge question

    Nevermind. Upon being home early after a long week, I poured myself two fingers of Woodford Reserve double oak and decided to give em the ole hot soak and west em dry. I’ll report back come Monday evening.

    P.S. if you like bourbon, you’ll love the double oak Woodford. Like eating cookies, but in a good way
    Last edited by Alex.C; October 6th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    P.S. if you like bourbon, you’ll love the double oak Woodford. Like eating cookies, but I’m a good way
    I'm confused. Eating cookies IS good.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I'm confused. Eating cookies IS good.

    In my defense, I'd been drinking when I typed that

    Now that said bourbon has cleared the brain, I'll admit it was a poor comparison.

  8. #18
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I'm confused. Eating cookies IS good.
    I prefer bourbon to cookies. Not that cookies are bad.

  9. #19
    Varsity Member Nandyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Nevermind. Upon being home early after a long week, I poured myself two fingers of Woodford Reserve double oak and decided to give em the ole hot soak and west em dry. I’ll report back come Monday evening.

    P.S. if you like bourbon, you’ll love the double oak Woodford. Like eating cookies, but I’m a good way
    Woodford reserve's great, but I've been babied by having Westland Distillery nearby. Single malt American whiskey and as super local ingredients as you can get. Lots of great small batch experimental barrels, too.
    Last edited by Nandyn; October 6th, 2018 at 07:01 AM.

  10. #20
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Ok, so Monday came and went, but reporting back in now. These things are pretty terrific. I bought 32x32 (my typical size) and initially thought they were too tight. after a few wears they fit like a dream. I know everybody loves stretchy jeans these days (myself included) but I really love these things, especially for the price. Highly recommend you check them out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •