Thread: Country calf grain with a suit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Country calf grain with a suit?

I've been looking for a pair of longwings with a rubber sole that I can wear when the weather is bad, since it is non-stop rain in philly these days. I am on the fence about this pair from meermin because of the pebbled grain. Would anyone hesitate to pair this shoe with trousers or a suit? I have black oxfords for very formal occasions. I don't wear a suit often but I would like the versatility of being able to pair them with my suits on occasion.

https://meermin.com/in_en/1013751617...-e-marron.html

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)
    It seems like popular consensus among the internet fashion crowd is that you don't wear a derby shoe with a suit, so there's also that with these shoes.

However, in real life, almost everyone breaks this rule, as do I.

I'm not a fan of pebbled leather for dress shoes, although I do like it on some boots--but I am interested in seeing what others have to say on your question, so I am posting.

These have the rubber sole and the long wing without the pebbling:

https://meermin.com/in_en/1013752381...berenjena.html
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 24th, 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    892 Post(s)
    As with everything, it depends on the suit fabric. A more casual or winter fabric? Go for it. Your interview suit? No. Long wings tend to look a lot more casual to me than other bluchers which makes them less suit worthy. A plain toe blucher would look better if you had to go that route. Also the reverse welt adds to the casualness of the style verse the standard no show welt.

I do have Swims, which are over-shoes, but even on the wettest days the leather gets hit with water. A 2nd pair of rain only shoes may be your best option.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I would say that bluchers fall into the country category if you're breaking suits down into either city wear or country wear. I think bluchers go with tweed or flannel suits especially if they have a bit of color or pattern in the fabric. I think that a pair of smooth calf black or dark brown wing tips could be worn with a navy suit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I would wear them with trousers and a sports coat all day, but probably not with most suits. Maybe a tweed or flannel without a tie would work.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I think the “no bluchers/derbys with a suit” is a stupid rule. Maybe not with a fine wool suit in a highly refined setting (attorney in an urban courtroom, boardroom meeting in a finance company, etc.).

But all suits are not created equal. If you have a suit with any texture or pattern at all (e.g., flannel or basket weave), then you can do a more interesting shoe. I have a pair of dark brown Allen Edmonds MacNeil longwings in grain leather on Dainite soles. These are go-to travel shoes and work well with a wool Prince-of-Wales check suit, a basket weave grey suit, chinos and a hop sack navy sport coat, etc. I wouldn’t wear them with a tuxedo or borderline black tie event for sure. Otherwise, no problem...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I will say that I am a teacher which affords me the luxury of more causal attire, although I still prefer to dress up more than most. I mostly purchase suits and find opportunities to wear them because I enjoy them, not because I need them for meetings and such. Because of this (and my teacher budget) my suits are very standard and not exciting. I have a dark charcoal and a medium gray suit with which I would probably only wear black oxfords. I also have a slate blue chino suit, a navy suit from lands end and a light grey j. crew "un-suit" that is popular right now. I think this is mostly the suits that I am thinking of wearing these with along with odd trousers, flannel pants and a sport coat (probably for dates with the wife downtown, special school functions, etc) . I would love to get a flannel suit some day. These shoes would definitely be a secondary pair as I already have a leather soled pair in a British tan color. I don't mind the blucher with a suit thing because I am already waaaayyy more dressed up than anyone else at "back to school night".