Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Searching for The Spier & Mackay Of Watches

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    The stainless steel version of that watch is legitimately cool and only $26.
    Keep in mind that only the bracelet is stainless steel. The case is some sort of silver colored resin. Possibly painted, possibly plated or something. I've had issues where a cheap watch has the chrome start flaking off on the backside where it touches my skin.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    917 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Keep in mind that only the bracelet is stainless steel. The case is some sort of silver colored resin. Possibly painted, possibly plated or something. I've had issues where a cheap watch has the chrome start flaking off on the backside where it touches my skin.
    Sure. But it's $26. I'd go for the black to avoid it, but if I sprang for the 'metal' I'd more or less expect it to shed or rub off after a bit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    +1 for Dan Henry. For the price they can't be beat. I think OP needs to focus on figuring out what he wants, and a good quality watch with a low entry point is the way to go. Many people have recommended divers or dress watches, but honestly these aren't as versatile as possible. To non-WIS, a watch with an interesting dial is something that stands out. I'd choose a chronograph (Dan Henry has plenty of fantastic models), and get used to wearing it.

I couldn't, wouldn't, and won't recommend a $500+ watch as a first-time buy. Too many variables - plus, it will inevitably get smacked on a door, get scuffed up, or worse, since OP isn't used to having something on his wrist. That first ding will drive anyone crazy, especially if your first watch was an expensive one. Add to that the fact that tastes change over time, and the argument for a $500+ first watch really drops.

Just my 2Ę. OP, I'd play around with it and have fun. Buy for you, not for someone else. Start off low, then once you find your niche, graduate to higher levels.

Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime
    Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coachcaseyd View Post
    That said, I do really like some of the options from Orient Bambino.
    I'll throw in another endorsement for the Orient Bambino. I bought one 3-4 years back, and still wear it frequently. It also was the first watch I purchased when I wanted to dip my toe into the watch world. IMO, it's a classic, simple design. Dressy enough for a suit. And it's an automatic, which was a new concept to me. It also was the first watch I bought that cost more than $100. Since then, I've bought more watches, some automatics, some quartz, and there are many, many more watches on the ever-growing wish list. Point being, I think the Bambino is a solid starting point. The price isn't ridiculous. It's versatile. And, it'll let you get the "automatic watch experience" (if there is such a thing?).

One note though, and I think it's been mentioned on this thread, Orient's band for the Bambino sucks. Mine became discolored and started falling apart within months of purchase. Be prepared to replace it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Plot twist:

Buy a $15 plastic Casio and then when your wife complains, tell her it is Hodinkee-approved.
    I came very close to picking up this guy at Wal-Mart last night. I thought it'd look great with my selvedge jeans, 1000 mile boots, deep v tee, and american spirit cigarettes. But, since I can't grow a beard, I felt the look would just be incomplete.

If I continue to ruminate on it, I'll probably end up picking it up. It has a certain aesthetic appeal that I can't really put my finger on, but it might be worth the $10-$15 investment to see if I actually like wearing it. I've spent more money on uglier things that never saw the light of day. (Looking at you, JCF.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I have a blue hands Orient Bambino. It is not my favorite at all. In fact Iím to the point of never wearing it. (Perhaps a swap shop foreshadow...?)

So hereís what has happened with me and watches recently that might help you.

When I started to WANT to wear a watch, I got a super cheap timed weekender with a nice FFF button stud strap. I loved the strap but then soon learned (after buying THREE dang weekenders) that I wanted something better than that.

I have the citizen green canvas strap field chrono. Itís nice, but isnít a go to daily for me.

I wanted a dress watch and something nicer, so I went for the orient Bambino blue hands. Nice to have an auto. Strap breaking down but I didnít replace it.

Then I bought a Hamilton khaki field with a jack foster chromexcel strap. It far outshined the orient in feel and weight and look. Granted they are different purpose watches and yes the Hamilton is more expensive.

Over the next 6 months I bought a Hamilton pilot, a Hamilton diver, and a seiko 007.

While the seiko isnít hand winding (my only knock), it seems sooooo good for the price.

If I were to buy another watch now, it would be a seiko samurai.

If I were to afford another watch now, it would be an omega speedmaster. But we can all dream.

I know you want a dressier watch with gold. Seiko has so many options. I prefer it over my orient, however many have said on here that the two brands seem almost interchangeable in the market.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Sure. But it's $26. I'd go for the black to avoid it, but if I sprang for the 'metal' I'd more or less expect it to shed or rub off after a bit.
    The plating seems to hold up well enough. My cousin has one and wears it a decent amount. No chips or wear marks yet at about a year of ownership. Even if the silver started to wear, I would like the "patina" on a watch like that though.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1768 Post(s)
    If it starts to show wear you can just touch it up....

Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Personally, I prefer the F-91 to the world timer, myself. A bit cheaper, but does more on the simple and clean, which is what I like out of most of my watches.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    My collection has grown over time (nothing high end, max price around 500).

Id say your best value play is something in the 275 to 350 range

Specifically, I like the seiko prospex and presage lines. You can find those on sale for around 250 to 300 (look on Amazon right now for seiko turtle and Samaurai).

I think, on sale, best bang for buck