Thread: J Crew phasing out tall outerwear?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

J Crew phasing out tall outerwear?

J Crew's tall outerwear selection has been slim as of late, but it looks like it is now non-existent. I hear they're cutting costs, dropping prices, etc. Maybe this is a way to increase their bottom line? Frustrating for those of us that rely on the few brands that make clothing in the medium tall size.

On a similar note, BR's Kevin Love line of outerwear only comes in regular sizes for the most part. The guy is 6'10". There's no way he's wearing those clothes.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)
    That sucks, especially cuz if you go up to a large for length, you'll probably be swimming in the clothes. On the flip side, really sucks for short guys like me (5'6"), too, that buy smalls but everything is still too long and can't go down to an XS cuz I work out and have a 38.5" chest. Average height is 5'8" yet somehow a small is made for people taller than that.

The models probably get custom made versions of the clothes they sell. I love when I see a shirt or jacket modeled by a guy wearing size small and it lists his height at 6'2" and I'm like...ok.... When did humanity become a race of Giants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Crossing fingers here that this is tempoary and not a long-term strategy from JC. I'm 6'8" but slim and I nearly live in BR/JC Large Tall sizes (BR's Slim Fit LT is close to ideal in almost all styles). For more technical and 'outdoorsy' there's also Eddie Bauer but rarely as stylish. Where else do folks go for Tall sizes outside of those three? (Also, got a shirt jacket in Large Tall in the KLove collection; waiting for delivery... though it doesn't really count as 'outerwear' haha)
    __________________________________________________ ____
    "Everybody needs to drive an automobile, even the very tall."

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    they probably don't make money on the tall outerwear. as much as it's probably super nice for you to find it, they probbaly spend a lot of money making it, and don't sell that many, pretty consistently.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TallTraveller View Post
    Crossing fingers here that this is tempoary and not a long-term strategy from JC. I'm 6'8" but slim and I nearly live in BR/JC Large Tall sizes (BR's Slim Fit LT is close to ideal in almost all styles). For more technical and 'outdoorsy' there's also Eddie Bauer but rarely as stylish. Where else do folks go for Tall sizes outside of those three? (Also, got a shirt jacket in Large Tall in the KLove collection; waiting for delivery... though it doesn't really count as 'outerwear' haha)
    In addition to BR and J Crew, Bonobos makes tall sizes. BUT Bonobos tall sizes are incredibly inconsistent. I can buy two different shirts in MT, and one will be 3 inches longer than the other. Bonobos also cut out their nicer dress shirts in favor of the Jetsetter stretch line. The Jetsetter shirts just don't fit as well. And the daily grind shirts are absolute crap.

I also do Eddie Bauer for my outdoor gear. Their classic fit is quite big on me, but they have an athletic/slim fit in their jackets that works very well. I've got a puffer jacket from them. I also just returned the Atlas hooded jacket because the "saddle" color was a very light khaki instead of the brown pictured on their website, but the fit was spot on. When it comes back into stock in the dark loden color in my size, I will repurchase.

LL Bean does tall sizes (including MT), but the jackets I purchased from them recently to try out were a tad too big and boxy.

As a LT, you have a lot more options. A lot of companies make tall sizes starting in large. Very few make MT. It makes no sense to me, because in my experience with regular sizes, the length changes very little from medium to large, but the width changes a lot. So if the thought is a person who is too tall for a medium can just size up to a large, that just doesn't work with today's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    they probably don't make money on the tall outerwear. as much as it's probably super nice for you to find it, they probbaly spend a lot of money making it, and don't sell that many, pretty consistently.
    That's my fear. It would be a good reason to cut it out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Lands end does MT still, but they seem to be slimming down the the outerwear selection too. I like the look of those Barbouresque coats that pop up on here, but they don't do tall sizes in those.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaWuttae View Post
    Lands end does MT still, but they seem to be slimming down the the outerwear selection too. I like the look of those Barbouresque coats that pop up on here, but they don't do tall sizes in those.
    Tell me about it. I love the Barbour, Filson, and Orvis coats, but tall sizes are rare and only start in large. I also really liked LL Bean's Foreside field jacket, but it was just too big and boxy, even in MT. It was so big, I could have easily worn the same jacket in a smaller size under it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I have used ebay for MT stuff, with some success.

Also, depending how much 'T' you need, sometimes you can get lucky with JCrew quality control, and find some nice long sleeves on a medium.