Thread: Correct Saphir cream polish color for Thursday Boots (brown)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Correct Saphir cream polish color for Thursday Boots (brown)

Hi,

I just got a pair of Scouts by Thursday boots in brown. I'm loving them so far, but can't quite figure out what cream polish to get for them. The brown is relatively dark brown, but has a hint of burgundy in there, giving it an overall almost mahogany look.

Does here have experience with Thursdays' brown leather? What cream polish would you recommend? I'm currently stuck between Saphir Pommadier in dark brown, tobacco brown, and mahogany. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    I honestly wouldn't sweat it too much, unless you are extremely OCD about not changing the color at all. To be on the safe side you can choose the shade that might look slightly lighter, since it would still shine your shoes, but a darker shoe won't go lighter in color from doing this.

Alternatively, choosing a darker shade of brown may provide a very subtle antiquing look over time, which may be desirable.

I have a pair of brown AE boots that I started using Safir Bordeaux (burgundy) shoe cream on and although to my eye it has added a handsome burgundy tone, overall it's somewhat hard to tell. Unless you use black polish on a light colored shoe, the results probably won't be highly noticeable.

Maybe this article can help: https://www.hangerproject.com/blog/2...shoe-polish-2/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)
    What @Spex said. Lighter shades won't change the color much, if at all. If you use a darker color it can add some depth, but your shoes are already dark brown, so there isn't much of a chance of doing that. Most shoes that aren't black seem to develop color variations over time and with polishing, even if you maintain them well, but with decent leather that looks pretty good IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    I use Allen Edmonds burnished brown polish on my brown Thursday boots. It's obviously not a perfect match, but it has worked well so far.