Thread: Gainzzz and Clothing Size

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Gainzzz and Clothing Size

Anyone have advice on buying clothes while doing a lifting program (SS, crossfit, whatever)? When I first did Starting Strength by thighs got huge from squatting and I could no longer fit into my pants. The same thing happened with my chest size—going from about a 40/42 to a 46.

Is there anyway to plan for what will happen? For example, I want to buy a new blazer and 44L size fits me well now, but I know that in 3-6 months I may be at least a 46L. Should you just wait till you've "leveled off" in your gainzz till you purchase the item? Buy it now in what fits and get a new one later?

Is this just something lifters (who care about style at all) have to deal with?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    If you need clothes now, buy them in the size that fits. If you don't need them now, wait until you need them... and buy them in the size that fits.

There's only so much "planning" that you can do. Maybe you can buy your pants in a size up and have your tailor take the waist in with the plan of letting it back out. However, the areas of your body that are most likely to grow or shrink due to exercise (shoulders, back, chest, thighs, butt) are ones that are the most difficult places for a tailor to make alterations.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    892 Post(s)
    I agree with @thedrake, wait to buy anything since your body will likely change. Similarly, if someone is losing weight, wear the same clothes for a while before buying new ones. In the mean time, the best idea is to not look sloppy from clothes being too small/big.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)
    Only shirts you'll ever need:

https://tuffntiny.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The more you gain, the better you'll look in a loincloth.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    682 Post(s)
    buy pants with lots of stretch like BR RMD

buy jackets with lining

learned all this the hard way lol

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted