Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather weekender suggestions

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1491 Post(s)

Leather weekender suggestions

I'm looking to purchase a leather weekender bag. One that I can carry with me on a plane, so it will need to meet carry-on requirements.

I probably should have jumped on the Gustin bag that was being sourced about a month ago, but I didn't and am now regretting it. Anyway, no use crying or what could have been.

Ideally I'd like to stick in the $500 range (the price of the Gustin bag) but am open to ideas and/or suggestions. Happy to read/hear about your experiences with what worked and didn't work too. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1135 Post(s)
    I was shopping for soemthing similar and ended up stumbling on a canvas duffel with leather accents at a thrift store that I couldnt pass up. First, it was a great thrift store price and second, the thrift store shared profits with a pet rescue organization. I bought it as something to use while I looked for a better one but it has not been replaced yet. Turns out, I just really like canvas bags for this purpose.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    The Saddleback doctor's bag is nice, as a duffel bag alternative. It's sort of pricey, but it's a multi-tasker.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1091 Post(s)
    I go back and forth with my weekender bag which I have had for roughly 3 years (I think) and has been on quite a few trips. My bag is the Barbour Leather Medium Travel Bag: https://www.barbour.com/us/barbour-l...l-explorer-bag

The Good:
    -The leather quality is pretty good and the tartan interior is a nice touch.
    -The zipper is substantial.
    -There is minimal branding and the pebble grain adds the right amount of depth.

The Bad:
    -The "wings" or ends of the bag are not held down by metal clips but by holes in the leather that attach to a tab. I feel like over time the wings will not stay down like metal clips would help with.
    -The stitching does not seem substantial. I do not know what I expect from a weekender but maybe I was thinking this would be more rough and tough in terms of stitching. I have had no issues and beat this thing around so maybe it is enough.

Since this was a gift I accepted it no matter what but I feel like if I wanted to buy a bag from scratch, I would want to see it in person. Hold it, handle it, figure out how much can fit in it. Maybe I have grown up from my "beat everything to hell" younger self so the bag I have fits, but from a perception standpoint, I sort of want something more sturdy though I have not looked at other bags to compare it to mine...since I have a weekender bag now.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    i am following this. i want one too!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I was shopping for soemthing similar and ended up stumbling on a canvas duffel with leather accents at a thrift store that I couldnt pass up. First, it was a great thrift store price and second, the thrift store shared profits with a pet rescue organization. I bought it as something to use while I looked for a better one but it has not been replaced yet. Turns out, I just really like canvas bags for this purpose.
    Are you Zach S.?

https://dappered.com/2018/07/in-revi...s-zone-duffel/

I actually bought this bag after reading the review. It's fantastic for the money. I, too, like canvas for this purpose.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    Are you Zach S.?

https://dappered.com/2018/07/in-revi...s-zone-duffel/

I actually bought this bag after reading the review. It's fantastic for the money. I, too, like canvas for this purpose.
    I had purchased this bag in September of 2017. I did have some issues with the stitching on the straps coming undone but I reached out to the company and they refunded me some money and paid for the stitching to be repaired by a local cobbler of my choosing.

Mine has frays coming out from where the zipper attaches, but overall I am very happy with the bag. I have been using it for my carry on bag and local trips. I would guess ~15 trips with it so far. Perfect size.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1491 Post(s)
    I've been tempted by the Frost River bags. I hear good things about them and the price definitely seems right. That said, I'm partial to a leather bag for whatever reason.
    @JBarwick the Barbour bag looks interesting. I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

This post is definitely helpful, although there aren't any leather bags listed: https://dappered.com/2014/05/best-lo...-bags-for-men/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Massdrop has a leather (with canvas ends) "overnight duffel" by Timberland right now:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/timberl...kpack#overview

It looks to be a weekender size in a duffel shape. Looks nice. No idea on quality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    This does not help you because you’ve stated you’re firm on all leather, however the initial run of the Target Goodfellow and Co. weekender was decent.
    Of the few Goodfellow items I have purchased it’s the only one I actually still like and has lasted.

Hope you find something to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk