Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have tips for buying mattresses? Online? In person? Etc?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepping It Up View Post
    Read this first, before you waste any time slogging through online reviews.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/...-mattress-wars

Turns out they're bought & paid for. Consumer reports & wirecutter are probably honest reviews and might be worth a peek. But there's no substitute for checking it out yourself. Pay special attention to heat issues, the modern foam beds can be ridiculously hot.
    Wow--quite a read. I think I've stopped trusting most online reviews ever since I got burned buying Wolf & Sheppard shoes. Well, that was probably the straw that broke the back, anyways.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So I would vote for online personally. I didn't find a test rest that helpful. Usually over a 15-30min time frame you tend to like plush and comfortable. Over 5-8 hours plush may be too much. From my research on my last bed, recommendations were to buy it harder than you traditionally like. Beds will breakdown over time and with moving etc.

We bought a combo foam and pocket coil mattress and over 10 years it has been phenomenal.
    I'm this might be the type we want.

How is the heat issue? We have a spring mattress with a cushion top now and it does get hot on my side. Very hot, as mentioned by @Stepping It Up above.

I'm wondering if the hybrid mattresses have the same problem.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I'm this might be the type we want.

How is the heat issue? We have a spring mattress with a cushion top now and it does get hot on my side. Very hot, as mentioned by @Stepping It Up above.

I'm wondering if the hybrid mattresses have the same problem.
    I don't notice any heat issues and I love having blankets on when sleeping. It is a: Simmons Beautyrest NxG 250 Series Mattress

It's supposedly combining the best attributes of each. The delivery people were very thankful it wasn't a tempurpedic ... lol

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    I recently bought mine from tuft and needle. I went through the upgraded version to make sure the mattress stays cooler and has better side support. The mattress is firm, which is what we were looking for. I agree with the others to find something that has a trial period. Most of the online brands do that.

The one we bought if we ended up not wanting it after certain amount of days they would find somewhere for us to bring the mattress to get donated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Only caution on foam mattresses is that they might not perform as well in activities performed in bed, besides sleeping, as spring mattresses. All about personal preference but something learned from experience during a trial period of the widely internet marketed foam beds. Sleep is important but so are other things... like reading, etc.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the help on this. We ended up buying a mid-range hybrid "cushion firm" mattress in person; i.e, inner springs with a cushion of gel-infused foam over the springs. Supposedly the gel helps keep the foam cool.

It gets delivered on Friday, so how we sleep on it is yet to be determined.

Consumer Reports was very helpful, so thank you to whoever suggested that.

Correction: "Luxury Firm", not "cushion firm".
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 25th, 2018 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Chiming in here.

I purchased a Purple mattress back in July and love it so much we bought a second for a guest room. It's firm, but soft, and has no heat retention issues. You WILL need to update your pillows if you're a side sleeper, as your shoulders tend to sink in a little more than with a normal spring mattress.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    The mattress we bought online was a hybrid and we got the "medium" firmness which is comfortable, but too soft for us. My wife and I just prefer a firmer mattress so It's going back. We bought the mattress without going to the showroom to try it out first because they were having a pretty decent labor day sale. So the deal is we have to wait 30 days and then we can exchange the mattress we have for one we like better. Within that 30 days we're going to actually go to the showroom and try out mattresses to see which one we like best.

The company we bought from is Nest. We saved about $1,000 over buying a similar mattress from Macy's. We didn't shop around at any other mattress stores because seriously fuck that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I bought mine after reading through the suggested pages and forums https://www.themattressunderground.com/

Ended up with a bed from Spindle. Happy with it so far. My review https://www.themattressunderground.c...le-review.html

To get pointed in a general direction, maybe try the match quiz on this site https://www.goodbed.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've been lucky to not have ever purchased a mattress that made me feel uncomfortable. Only thing that bugs me after a while are memory foam toppers which tend to get too hot, but I've had to compromise in the past due to sharing a bed with girlfriend. The last one I bought a couple of years ago I ended up getting a pretty good deal I feel, on a Serta at Big Lots. It says PERFECT SLEEPER on the label so I'm assuming that's the model?? Not sure but I'm happy with it; pretty damn firm yet not too stiff. I get great sleep and it stays surprisingly cool as long as the sheets are good quality cool cotton, even in the hottest of summer days where I live which tend to get 75-80 degrees overnight. I got it at 20% off with their seasonal sale that they get every couple of months and it ended up being like $900 total for a king size.