Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have tips for buying mattresses? Online? In person? Etc?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)

Anybody have tips for buying mattresses? Online? In person? Etc?

Anybody have tips for buying mattresses? Online? In person? Etc?

So many choices now a days. We can't figure it out!

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1502 Post(s)
    No real tips aside to say do it in person. When we bought our mattress we laid on many a mattress in the shop. We could tell the difference between firm, soft, etc. And even then we took advance of the 30 night trail. After 15 or so sleeps we realized the mattress was to firm and ended up swapping it for a softer one.

Personally, I wouldn't do the online thing.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)
    We bought ours in person. Like DocDave said, most offer a trial period which is nice. We bought ours from a furniture store because they had a wider selection though you could always go there to find a brand you like. We found the perfect firmness in store then went 1 level softer and it worked out great.

Another interesting point, we bought our mattress in 2014 and when I bought my sons mattress last year, the same quality product was cheaper. It seems traditional mattress companies are being "more innovative" or at least making changes quicker which is better for the customer. There is big competition from online sellers so they have to change.

If you want to find a Casper mattress to lay on, I know West Elm has examples but I am sure there are other stores that carry them. I have a startup friend who has bought and sold a few companies that started a mattress company. Surprisingly, Tom Brady is a sponsored athlete for him.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I bought a mattress online last weekend and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. The thing about the online mattresses is that they tend to have really good trial periods and warranties. Plus the place I bought mine actually has showrooms locally.

https://www.nestbedding.com/collecti...nt=12709966596

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I feel like it doesn't really matter the source as long as it has a trial/return policy. Maybe I'm just not in tune enough with what my body wants, but I have no clue what a comfortable mattress feels like by just laying on it in a store. I feel like I need at least a few nights on one to know if it's going to be hard on my back or not.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)
    Thank you, @DocDave , @JBarwick , @thedrake and @Deke .

Seems like consensus is to get something with a trial period. I've always wondered if those are just a come-on and if they really will take a mattress back.

I guess I will see how that works, because I think it is good advice.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Thank you, @DocDave , @JBarwick , @thedrake and @Deke .

Seems like consensus is to get something with a trial period. I've always wondered if those are just a come-on and if they really will take a mattress back.

I guess I will see how that works, because I think it is good advice.
    Yeah, I've never really looked into it, but it does feel like it would be a major hassle to return a mattress. Especially if it's something like Casper where they come vacuum sealed and expand when you open it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Read this first, before you waste any time slogging through online reviews.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/...-mattress-wars

Turns out they're bought & paid for. Consumer reports & wirecutter are probably honest reviews and might be worth a peek. But there's no substitute for checking it out yourself. Pay special attention to heat issues, the modern foam beds can be ridiculously hot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    So I would vote for online personally. I didn't find a test rest that helpful. Usually over a 15-30min time frame you tend to like plush and comfortable. Over 5-8 hours plush may be too much. From my research on my last bed, recommendations were to buy it harder than you traditionally like. Beds will breakdown over time and with moving etc.

We bought a combo foam and pocket coil mattress and over 10 years it has been phenomenal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepping It Up View Post
    the modern foam beds can be ridiculously hot.
    Can not emphasize this enough, some are fine with heat but others have such bad heat retention that you will be unbearably hot the moment you lie down. Funny you should mention that article as Sleepopolis is where I ended up during my own search for a mattress. Mind you this was before he was bought out but I found his reviews to be very thorough and informative.