Thread: Anyone else get that Jack Erwin note from the founders yesterday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Anyone else get that Jack Erwin note from the founders yesterday?

I'm not usually the disparaging sort, but I got an email from JE yesterday that had this line in it.

"Tomorrow, we pick up where we started: the launch of a new dress collection. This refreshed offering employs more rigorous internal standards for construction, fit, quality and aesthetics. Thanks to new factory partners in Portugal and Spain, we’re utilizing more time-intensive detailing and hand-finishing to provide an added level of refinement and depth to each shoe."

Now, I'm not saying that this is an impossible statement. However, I looked and the entire new line is Blake stitched and costs more. There used to be quite a few Goodyear shoes in their lineup... no longer. I don't intrinsically hate Blake shoes. I have a few, and they're fine. But we all know that Blake shoes are less costly to produce, and can be assembled more quickly. I don't mind companies cutting costs and increasing revenue, but I do mind being told something of a tall tale.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    It depends on whether or not they actually are using more complex finishing and detailing or not. Just because a shoe is blake stitched vs Goodyear welted doesn't inherently mean it's a cheaper product, or takes less time to make overall.

I mean, sure, maybe it's all a load of bologna, but not necessarily.