Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The "New" Allen Edmonds?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    Wow @LesserBlackDog , that is so unsat. I was planning on ordering a pair of Higgs, but I am now going to look elsewhere. I don't need that kind of customer service in my life. If I get a pair, I will just look at eBay or some other avenue .

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlejandroLopez View Post
    I've never been a fan of Allen Edmonds as whenever I've considered purchasing from them I find myself shelling out extra for something better like Alden or Carmina. Now as I look to expand my shoe collection beyond a longwing, chukka, and heavy boot, I can't see myself opting for AE over less expensive brands like Meermin or the higher end brands I mentioned, doubly so given the change in ownership and downturn in quality and service.

I'd suggest making AE a thrift/eBay only option. AE is by far the easiest to get quality brand on the secondary market. Hell, there are some flawless Daltons on eBay right now for $200-300 that are calling my name and I wear the most popular size there is!

Long-term, I think AE will go the way of Bonobos as a brand that built a legitimate reputation on quality, service, and ethical labor practices before gradually cutting back on all three, leaving their price points unchanged, and pocketing the profit all while lying to consumers about their standards. As with Bonobos, getting sold to an entity that in no way reflects the brand's original reputation and values can only lead to AE continuing its downward spiral of moving production to the cheapest overseas factories and cannibalizing its own legacy with bloated product lines and price points that no longer match the quality of the product.

I suppose my point here is that as consumers in the decidedly niche market of quality menswear, we have rare and significant power on an individual level. If AE wants to keep gradually moving its production to the Dominican Republic while doing the bare minimum to have a "Made in the USA" label that indicates little in the way of quality, then we can tell them to kindly fuck off and take our business to brands that deserve to be supported by people invested in the standards and practices that go into the final product.
    Agree.

I'm guessing you're aware of:

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/

and

https://www.cobbler-union.com/

So, I'll just post those as a reminder of a couple of up and coming young companies. I've received excellent service from both and love the shoes.

In regard to the shoes I purchased from Cobbler Union, which I got on a sale for about 60% off ($150 for a $400 shoe), someone emailed with a photo before they shipped, pointed out a slight blemish, told me they were the last shoes in my size, and asked if I still wanted them.

That's great customer service in my book!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Wow @LesserBlackDog , that is so unsat. I was planning on ordering a pair of Higgs, but I am now going to look elsewhere. I don't need that kind of customer service in my life. If I get a pair, I will just look at eBay or some other avenue .
    I got my Higgins Mill via eBay and am happy with them. I paid $150 and was able to see pics of the actual boots before buying. This is the only way I am buying AEs from here on out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Finally got a response to my email about my refund. I was told I would have my refund by the end of the day 11/7/18. It is now 11/9/18 and I still have no refund.
    I would do a chargeback. If I'm feeling nice, I would write an email today and give them deadline until end of 11/3 and tell them I'd do a chargeback if there's no money in the bank when I wake up on Wednesday.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Nice! Bookmarked those sites.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I got my Higgins Mill via eBay and am happy with them. I paid $150 and was able to see pics of the actual boots before buying. This is the only way I am buying AEs from here on out.
    Agreed. The risk/reward is definitely worth it, and usually there are pictures to go by. The price point is much better and with Paypal and most sellers, it actually feels safer than going through AE imo (sadly).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    What's the deal with the AE that are part of the Nordstrom sale? I have never heard of any of the models before, and they are not listed on the AE website?

Ex: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...FMen&color=tan

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...rown%20leather

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Finally got a response to my email about my refund. I was told I would have my refund by the end of the day 11/7/18. It is now 11/9/18 and I still have no refund.
    Speaking of unresponsiveness, I sent a message via online form to uniqlo to inquire my order. Message sent 10/29; got a reply on 11/9. Perhaps all these retailers outsource their customer service to the same party?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    What's the deal with the AE that are part of the Nordstrom sale? I have never heard of any of the models before, and they are not listed on the AE website?

Ex: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...FMen&color=tan

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...rown%20leather
    AE always makes one or two models exclusive to Nordstrom. The Clifton was a popular one that comes to mind. They're usually the same or better quality than other made in USA AEs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I own five pairs of AEs including a Higgins Mill and all are from ebay costing between $110 & $140. Only issues I face ordering from ebay are the shipping and occasional customs, as I am living in Canada.