Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80

Thread: The "New" Allen Edmonds?

  1. #11
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

    The "New" Allen Edmonds?

    From here and a few posts I’ve seen on other sites there definitely seems to be something happening with AE that isn’t good. That being said the Mcallisters I ordered during the recent 40% off are spotless and reminiscent of what I used to expect from AE. Maybe I just got lucky?


  2. #12
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    From here and a few posts I’ve seen on other sites there definitely seems to be something happening with AE that isn’t good. That being said the Mcallisters I ordered during the recent 40% off are spotless and reminiscent of what I used to expect from AE. Maybe I just got lucky?
    Yeah, those are beautiful!

  3. #13
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    I have to say, I'm pretty concerned. As a guy who really has to wear B width shoes, I have very few options. I also share @mebejoseph 's concern regarding the wait time on the phone. I know it seems trivial, but I called this week about getting a price adjustment for a pair of firsts that clearly should have been seconds, waited on the phone for 25 min, and then talked to a person who clearly didn't know much about shoes, a far cry from previous phone interactions.

    That being said, I grabbed a pair of brown country grain Leeds seconds and they were in pretty good condition and might be the most comfortable pair I've bought. Only time will tell how far down market they slide.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I guess we are all in a wait and see mode for now. Out of the 15 or so dress shoes/nice boots I own, all but 3 are from Allen Edmonds.

    But I guess the reality is, if they remove themselves from the market they currently serve, someone else is bound to attempt to fill it at one point or another.

    Would be too bad though for a company that has been around for that long.

    Here’s to hoping for the best.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeyers View Post
    But I guess the reality is, if they remove themselves from the market they currently serve, someone else is bound to attempt to fill it at one point or another.
    Plot twist: It's the market which left first.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I'll second the folks who feel like they got seconds quality at "first" prices (quotation marks because they were deeply discounted, pretty much to the point of seconds pricing) I got a pair of brown McAllisters during the 40% off sale and I noticed one of the perforations hadn't been removed, so I popped it out myself and noticed the underlying material was bright white, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It hides under most pants, and I'm afraid they don't have a replacement of similar quality in stock so I haven't returned them, but all things considered I figure I got what I paid for, though had I paid full price I'd be pretty ticked off.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    I'll second the folks who feel like they got seconds quality at "first" prices (quotation marks because they were deeply discounted, pretty much to the point of seconds pricing) I got a pair of brown McAllisters during the 40% off sale and I noticed one of the perforations hadn't been removed, so I popped it out myself and noticed the underlying material was bright white, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It hides under most pants, and I'm afraid they don't have a replacement of similar quality in stock so I haven't returned them, but all things considered I figure I got what I paid for, though had I paid full price I'd be pretty ticked off.
    @skewl: You can probably fill it in with a brown sharpie.

  8. #18
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,587
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)
    Or some colored shoe polish/cream.
    Ben

  9. #19
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Plot twist: It's the market which left first.
    You think so? If so, why would a big conglomerate buy them out?

    According to Wikipedia, AE grew from 18 stores in 2007 to 78 in 2017. You can estimate sales in 2006 as $100 million US from the information in the Wikipedia article, which is when they re-tooled their factory and also when they sold out for $100 million. (Good timing, right? Just a year or so before the economy started to slide).

    You can find some sources that estimated AE revenue at $175 million in 2016, and at that time AE's president said that after almost failing during the recession, they had consistent growth from 2010 through 2016. And that's when Caleres purchased AE.

    From my own personal experience, I can say that I only recently became a fan of AE shoes and I've purchased five pairs in the last year. I probably purchased two of them because of really low sales prices, but still would have purchased three. One pair I paid full price for and the other two were on sale, but not at those fire sales prices. I became a fan of the quality and customer service after becoming unhappy with what seemed like a quality decline in J&M shoes over the years and others in that price range--AND--I talked AE up enough that a couple of my co-workers also purchased pairs for the first time. To me, J&M left the slightly upscale market and I found AE to be a great replacement at a higher price that was not unreasonable after being adjusted for inflation. (It's been odd to me that a lot of the brands like J&M, Kenneth Cole, and Bostonian seem to have maintained prices in the $100-$200 range for many years--some about two decades--they can only do this by cutting costs, right? And my observation is that the quality has gone down on those brands. As to the truly upscale brands like Alden--I had zero experience with them, so I can't comment.)

    So, I'm not sure that the market left AE. It seems like they were on a growth curve when they sold out in 2016. I can't find separate revenue figures for after that, but there's no reason to believe that sales went down.

    Based on what I've seen, the new AE is hoping to maintain the current customer base AND entice new younger buyers, in hopes of growing even faster. Given that younger buyers are generally dressing less formally, AE is going to need to show their shoes in less formal settings with chinos and jeans and such instead of suits and dress trousers.

    And from my own personal experience again, I've followed that trend, even though I'm older. In the last year I've started wearing my dress shoes with jeans and chinos.

    As far as quality--well, I was in a Nordstrom Rack (my wife was shopping) yesterday and looking at J&M, BM, Kenneth Cole, and lots of other shoes. Despite the minor imperfections I've found in my AE shoes, they are miles ahead of the cheap looking crap I saw in that store yesterday.

  10. #20
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    You think so? If so, why would a big conglomerate buy them out?

    According to Wikipedia, AE grew from 18 stores in 2007 to 78 in 2017. You can estimate sales in 2006 as $100 million US from the information in the Wikipedia article, which is when they re-tooled their factory and also when they sold out for $100 million. (Good timing, right? Just a year or so before the economy started to slide).

    You can find some sources that estimated AE revenue at $175 million in 2016, and at that time AE's president said that after almost failing during the recession, they had consistent growth from 2010 through 2016. And that's when Caleres purchased AE.

    From my own personal experience, I can say that I only recently became a fan of AE shoes and I've purchased five pairs in the last year. I probably purchased two of them because of really low sales prices, but still would have purchased three. One pair I paid full price for and the other two were on sale, but not at those fire sales prices. I became a fan of the quality and customer service after becoming unhappy with what seemed like a quality decline in J&M shoes over the years and others in that price range--AND--I talked AE up enough that a couple of my co-workers also purchased pairs for the first time. To me, J&M left the slightly upscale market and I found AE to be a great replacement at a higher price that was not unreasonable after being adjusted for inflation. (It's been odd to me that a lot of the brands like J&M, Kenneth Cole, and Bostonian seem to have maintained prices in the $100-$200 range for many years--some about two decades--they can only do this by cutting costs, right? And my observation is that the quality has gone down on those brands. As to the truly upscale brands like Alden--I had zero experience with them, so I can't comment.)

    So, I'm not sure that the market left AE. It seems like they were on a growth curve when they sold out in 2016. I can't find separate revenue figures for after that, but there's no reason to believe that sales went down.

    Based on what I've seen, the new AE is hoping to maintain the current customer base AND entice new younger buyers, in hopes of growing even faster. Given that younger buyers are generally dressing less formally, AE is going to need to show their shoes in less formal settings with chinos and jeans and such instead of suits and dress trousers.

    And from my own personal experience again, I've followed that trend, even though I'm older. In the last year I've started wearing my dress shoes with jeans and chinos.

    As far as quality--well, I was in a Nordstrom Rack (my wife was shopping) yesterday and looking at J&M, BM, Kenneth Cole, and lots of other shoes. Despite the minor imperfections I've found in my AE shoes, they are miles ahead of the cheap looking crap I saw in that store yesterday.
    I think you're right. The old lineup (Strands etc) made them tons of money so they raised the price. And now the new lineup is priced at the sweet spot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •