Thread: Ebay Sellers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Ebay Sellers

I am sure that this question has been posed before, but do any of you regular ebay buyers or sellers have any knowledge as to how some of the higher end sellers are able to sell NIB items at such a lower price than retail. For example, I just bought a pair of Rancourts that retail for $350 for only $140. Supposedly they are new in box and the seller accepts free returns.

...or is this just one of those "take it and don't ask any questions" scenarios?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Things that end up on ebay could be samples, old stocks, past season, returns, etc. that retailers dump to these sellers. Also it just shows you how much mark up there is in MSRP, on pretty much anything. Bonobos sample sales in NYC is basically always around 60-70% off, if not more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    A lot of them are likely one of two scenarios:

1. They purchased the items in large lots from the company or third party retailers, so their pricing is based on a relatively low PPU (price per unit). LuxeSwap on Styleforum does this a lot.

2. They're offering the items on consignment. Their only investment is time (no upfront capital cost), and they take a set percentage cut of the final sales price. Obviously they always hope for a higher final sale price, but it's more of an issue for their consignor if it goes for low money.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    or they could be... dun dun dun SECONDS!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    or they could be... dun dun dun SECONDS!
    I just asked the seller and he said that he buys entire wardrobes from (presumably wealthy) people, and much of it is still in the box, with tags, etc. So, essentially a consignment, but the 30-day return policy gives me hope that I'm not getting used or seconds. Thanks for the replies.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b. eliot View Post
    I just asked the seller and he said that he buys entire wardrobes from (presumably wealthy) people, and much of it is still in the box, with tags, etc. So, essentially a consignment, but the 30-day return policy gives me hope that I'm not getting used or seconds. Thanks for the replies.
    Take a look at his feedback. if he has a lot of sales and good feedback, it could be worth a shot. Ive gotten some really good deals from sellers on there. I actually bought a pair of "new" Redwings off of Amazon once, and they looked to me to be seconds. Get as many pics as you can as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Take a look at his feedback. if he has a lot of sales and good feedback, it could be worth a shot. Ive gotten some really good deals from sellers on there. I actually bought a pair of "new" Redwings off of Amazon once, and they looked to me to be seconds. Get as many pics as you can as well.
    I've experienced this, as well. I found a really good deal on some Allen Edmonds loafers, but when they arrived, you could tell from the blemish on the leather and the uneven stitching that they were seconds. I also purchased four pairs of Levi jeans over a few month period last year, all same style and size. Three fit the same way, and one fit completely different in nearly every way -- narrower thighs, larger ankle opening, longer inseam. So unless the seller is the brand manufacturer itself, you may not always be getting authentic or first quality items on Amazon.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I've experienced this, as well. I found a really good deal on some Allen Edmonds loafers, but when they arrived, you could tell from the blemish on the leather and the uneven stitching that they were seconds. I also purchased four pairs of Levi jeans over a few month period last year, all same style and size. Three fit the same way, and one fit completely different in nearly every way -- narrower thighs, larger ankle opening, longer inseam. So unless the seller is the brand manufacturer itself, you may not always be getting authentic or first quality items on Amazon.
    Similar happened to me on Amazon. I bought a supposed "New" pair of Redwing boots, they looked perfect at first, but the part of the boot where it ties together, when laced, was uneven, and the tongue was sewn in crooked. Some of these sellers, on eBay for example, might not even know if they are selling seconds. Not everyone is a shoe or boot enthusiast like members on here. I have to remind myself that sometimes, and I didnt know what seconds were myself until joining here years back. They very-well might believe they are selling brand new in the box shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Also it just shows you how much mark up there is in MSRP, on pretty much anything.
    Mark up from what basis?