Thread: Will my elbow patches clash with my shoes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Will my elbow patches clash with my shoes?

Hi everyone,

I have a gray tweet sport coat with black elbow patches. I tend to strongly prefer brown leather shoes, though, and only have AE Park Avenues and dress boots in black. 9/10 days, I wear shoes in the brown family, rather than black. What are everyone's thoughts on brown shoes with black (leather) elbow patches? Perfectly acceptable? Pushing it? Absolutely awful?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)
    Perfectly acceptable. If anybody stops you in the street to tell you your elbow patches clash with your shoes, you can drop 'bows on em and the patches will take the brunt of the wear as they're designed to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Perfectly acceptable. If anybody stops you in the street to tell you your elbow patches clash with your shoes, you can drop 'bows on em and the patches will take the brunt of the wear as they're designed to do.
    That's an excellent point. I knew those patches would come in useful, but hadn't realized just how useful they could be!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I think it would be fine. You're already mixing a shade of black, via the gray coat, with the brown shoes. I think this is a fine look, particularly if the pants are a color that works well with both.

Not to hijack the thread, but in general, can elbow patches be removed? I assume they're just an extra piece layered over the main fabric and removal of that piece and the thread holding it, especially in a textured fabric like tweed, would just disappear. But then again, I don't know much about jacket construction.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I think it would be fine. You're already mixing a shade of black, via the gray coat, with the brown shoes. I think this is a fine look, particularly if the pants are a color that works well with both.

Not to hijack the thread, but in general, can elbow patches be removed? I assume they're just an extra piece layered over the main fabric and removal of that piece and the thread holding it, especially in a textured fabric like tweed, would just disappear. But then again, I don't know much about jacket construction.
    i would expect in something nicer they're sewn on the fabric directly.

i've seen plenty of less nice modern jackets where they're "sewed on" but actually glued on first.

at some point people were adding them to jackets for fashion.

at some point long before that they were adding them out of necessity :-D

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    You definitely want to match shoes and belt color, but elbow patches? I think they can be whatever color. I mean, you don't want them to clash with the jacket, but I don't think you need to worry whether they're the same color as your shoes, belt or anything else.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a gray tweet sport coat with black elbow patches...
    ...What are everyone's thoughts on brown shoes with black (leather) elbow patches? Perfectly acceptable? Pushing it? Absolutely awful?

Thanks in advance!
    I’m loving the grey w/ brown leather look, but for me black elbow patches w/brown leather is probably pushing it. I don’t think I would be able to bring myself to wear that.

I actually have a similar, but subtler version of this dilemma personally. I business mullet (which is dressed up for tech, hard to push more formal) and I wear some grey Gustin jeans that work well against brown leather. Now Gustin always puts a blank leather patch on back waist of their jeans, their signature version of the Levi’s tag. On this particular pair of jeans, the patch is black, deep black...which kind of irks me when I throw that brown leather belt across it. But I wear it b/c the ensemble works as a whole...