Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you buy a suit for casual wear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I've got the grey cotton stretch unsuit. I love it but for those hot summer days the lining in the sleeves is too much and I overheat. And the poly doesn't feel great with shortsleeves. Still love it for the spring and early fall here. I'm on the coast in South Carolina.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    To all you guys with the JCrew unsuits, do you have the cotton-linen or stretch cotton versions? I'm in the market for a super lightweight, breathable suit for summer weddings. To keep it as cool as possible, I figured the linen blend would be best. But I also like the light gray color of the stretch cotton version. This was also the version reviewed on the main site a couple months ago. On the third hand, the Deep Water color offered in the linen blend has the appearance of gray in some light.

So, gents, what are your thoughts on the relative merits of the available options?

Secondarily, do you think either option would look good as a standalone sport coat? Its lack of structure would suggest yes, despite other details like the flap pockets. And if so, which color would be easiest to wear and most versatile?
    Both of mine are cotton-linen, so I can't speak to how they wear relative to the stretch cotton. I have the deep water and really like the color - it's a little darker than the light gray and gives the appearance of some pattern/texture. And yes, they work well as sports coats because they're not too formal/structured.

Not sure what colors are available right now, but I wear the deep water much more frequently than any of my blue sports coats - I do wear it with denim sometimes, so your usage may vary.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Are those drawstring pants? I don't understand why they are making drawstring pants.
    that

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    that
    Are you opposed to all drawstring pants that aren't sweats or workout pants? JCrew has some chambray drawstring pants that are really comfortable and I think would look good IF you wear them with an untucked shirt.

Similarly, Uniqlo has some excellent drawstring chino(ish) shorts. I never tuck shirts into shorts, so it works. They're comfortable and casual but still polished.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    Are you opposed to all drawstring pants that aren't sweats or workout pants? JCrew has some chambray drawstring pants that are really comfortable and I think would look good IF you wear them with an untucked shirt.

Similarly, Uniqlo has some excellent drawstring chino(ish) shorts. I never tuck shirts into shorts, so it works. They're comfortable and casual but still polished.
    I am currently wearing a pair of jcrew chambray drawstring pants - as comfortable knock around the house gear. Doubt I'd leave home in them.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I am currently wearing a pair of jcrew chambray drawstring pants - as comfortable knock around the house gear. Doubt I'd leave home in them.
    i don't think i would actually buy anything that had a drawstring on them and wasn't either meant for going to the gym or beach.

fortunately I have both covered so :-D

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Both of mine are cotton-linen, so I can't speak to how they wear relative to the stretch cotton. I have the deep water and really like the color - it's a little darker than the light gray and gives the appearance of some pattern/texture. And yes, they work well as sports coats because they're not too formal/structured.

Not sure what colors are available right now, but I wear the deep water much more frequently than any of my blue sports coats - I do wear it with denim sometimes, so your usage may vary.
    Mine is the cotton linen one as well. I think it's the deep water - it's a dark blue but definitely brighter than navy.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    And have the unsuits ever gone on sale?
    Circling back on this - the unsuits are included in the 30% off sale for rewards club members that was highlighted in today's sales post. This brings them to $186 with free shipping. Not the best I've seen, but best since May.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Circling back on this - the unsuits are included in the 30% off sale for rewards club members that was highlighted in today's sales post. This brings them to $186 with free shipping. Not the best I've seen, but best since May.
    Another alternative would be the Bonobos Foundation cotton suits. I bought one years back and after it is pressed, it looks more formal for a few wears. After that, the mohair starts to wrinkle a bit (but not too much) giving it a nice casual look. Some of the subtle patterns add to the casual appearance.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    Wow. Thanks. I would have missed this. Much appreciated.