Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a suit for casual wear?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Absolutely.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    A suit, yes. That suit? Not my jam. I was hoping to pick up one of the J Crew unsuits in the cotton/linen but the timing/pricing never worked out.
    See, that's what I wanted too. An un-suit. So that's what started me looking in to other options because the JC thing never worked for me either. That's when I came across this green number. But I can't seem to find an unsuit that fits my budget and need.

I blame this post for my current interest btw: http://www.stayclassicblog.com/casual-air-travel-suit/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    I have two of the unsuits and am liking them a lot. Just wore one to a wedding over the weekend, and the other to work today (although I wouldn't have if I had a client meeting or something similar).

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I wear suits plenty in my day-to-day life. I enjoy wearing suits but I also enjoy being able to wear something that’s not a suit on my downtime. I see no need for and feel no inclination to wear the so-called “casual suit” when a suit is not actually called for in the circumstances.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I have one of those. I like it so much I wouldn't have minded paying full price, although I didn't. It's super casual, stays very cool. It does wrinkle just by looking at it, but that's to he expected.

I've done the casual thing with it. Paired it with suede wingtips and a henley. Have also done it with boat shoes and a polo. Looks nice.

I also have one of the unlined linen sport coats from JCrew Factory. It's the exact same cut, and seems no poorer made. Think I got it on sale for like $60. Was a great deal. Recently wore it around LA in the middle of the summer. So definitely look at the JCF ones as well.

Sizing on both is super tight, if you haven't tried a Ludlow cut jacket yet. Definitely try it on as you might need to size up from your norm if you're used something like BB. I can take a 38-39 in more traditional cuts, but am a 40 in a ludlow. It looks great on me and the shoulders fit perfectly, but it did take the sizing up to get there.

The trousers are average sized I would say. Just get your typical trouser size.
    I have an un-suit too and noticed the same thing about the sizing. I've generally been a 38 short in the Ludlow fit, so that's what I ordered, and it was too short in the body. Pants fit fine though. I ordered online because I hit the code just right and it was only about $130 for the suit. Returned the jacket to a local brick and mortar store that had a range of sizes in stock and wound up exchanging the 38 short for a 38 regular. They are great summer suits. I wear mine at the office but don't plan on lounging in it on a regular basis. When I'm off duty I have no interest in wearing a suit or anything even remotely formal unless I'm going to an event that requires dressing up.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    To all you guys with the JCrew unsuits, do you have the cotton-linen or stretch cotton versions? I'm in the market for a super lightweight, breathable suit for summer weddings. To keep it as cool as possible, I figured the linen blend would be best. But I also like the light gray color of the stretch cotton version. This was also the version reviewed on the main site a couple months ago. On the third hand, the Deep Water color offered in the linen blend has the appearance of gray in some light.

So, gents, what are your thoughts on the relative merits of the available options?

Secondarily, do you think either option would look good as a standalone sport coat? Its lack of structure would suggest yes, despite other details like the flap pockets. And if so, which color would be easiest to wear and most versatile?

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)
    And have the unsuits ever gone on sale?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    To all you guys with the JCrew unsuits, do you have the cotton-linen or stretch cotton versions? I'm in the market for a super lightweight, breathable suit for summer weddings. To keep it as cool as possible, I figured the linen blend would be best. But I also like the light gray color of the stretch cotton version. This was also the version reviewed on the main site a couple months ago. On the third hand, the Deep Water color offered in the linen blend has the appearance of gray in some light.

So, gents, what are your thoughts on the relative merits of the available options?

Secondarily, do you think either option would look good as a standalone sport coat? Its lack of structure would suggest yes, despite other details like the flap pockets. And if so, which color would be easiest to wear and most versatile?
    I have one cotton linen (jcrew), one linen (jcrew factory). The cotton linen is in the deep water color. Both work great as sport coats - the casual fabric and lack of lining makes them look at home for this, despite the flap pockets. The deep water color is pretty versatile, just avoid a similar color shirt and you're good to go. One would never know it's really an orphaned suit jacket.

I can only speak to these two, but both keep you cool.

My issue with all cotton would be that it won't manage your temp as well as linen or linen blend, and if you're buying the coat specifically to keep things cool, that seems counterproductive.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    And have the unsuits ever gone on sale?
    Yes, occasionally. Seems to happen every couple of months.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    In May, they were around $140 for a couple days.