Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I honestly thinking here...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Get something cheap. Even liking the overall idea is no assurance you'll get it exactly right the first time. It never fails that the experience of wearing an example of a new style sharpens our preferences for a specific version of that style.

If you find you don't wear it much, you haven't wasted a lot of money (an easy situation to fall into given you already own multiple alternatives). If you find yourself wearing it a lot, but wishing it were more X or less Y, that's when you spend the money.

Edit: predictive text keyboard-induced typos
    Last edited by Galcobar; August 20th, 2018 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeyers View Post
    Well that is also a very interesting look.... $300 pricey but looks nice man.

Options options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have that chukka in brown (wife got it for me when it was on sale at Nordstrom's) and it's a very nice boot.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeyers View Post
    Boots, shoes, boots.... what the heck am I going to do here...

So one of the colors I love to wear in clothing (tops primarily) is black and shades of black. I have some black sweaters, some charcoal sweaters, some medium gray tops, etc.
    typically I will wear these with gray chinos, lighter khaki chinos, or even a colored pair of chinos such as medium to light blue or even rusty red.

Personally, I can’t stand the look of brown shoes with black clothes. To each his own, right?

But I’ve never actually taken the dive on black casual shoes or boots. I do own a pair of gray mctavish from AE. And while they are fine, the gray is not versatile. Plus I’d like a boot.
    Me too on not liking brown shoes with black clothes. And burgundy shoes are among my favorites, but not with black--although I have one pair of shoes in black and burgundy and I like those with black.

And I don't wear boots very often.

So, I got cheap boots--about $100 each. Two pairs over the last few years. One pair is a suede and leather black wingtip dress boot. The other is more like a motorcycle boot.

I like the way they look and since I wear them about three to five times a year each, I don't care much about whether they are going to last.

But, when I'm ready to spend some more serious money, I'm gonna get some JFitzpatrick boots probably--I may even pay extra for made to order and get something in black and burgundy.

So, my suggestion for your consideration: Buy something inexpensive for now that you can live with and save your money for the Alden boots you love and want.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Get something cheap. Even looking the overall idea is no assurance you'll get it exactly right the first time. It never fails that the experience of wearing an example of a new style sharpens our preferences for a specific person of that style.

If you find you don't wear it much, you haven't wasted a lot of money (an easy situation to fall into given you already own multiple alternatives). If you find yourself wearing it a lot, but wishing it were more X or less Y, that's when you spend the money.
    So true.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    I had similar thoughts before. My hair is black, and black is one of my best colors, and I also don't do the black and brown combo. But going all or mostly black, even with a colored top, can get boring, so I usually try to balance the black and gray base by alternating with a brown-navy-gray or brown/gray/olive base.

For black shoes, I have formal cap toe oxfords, Clarks suede desert chukkas, and Hunter rubber chelseas for rainy days. I figure this is enough to cover almost all situations.

A combo I realized that I like and is an exception to the no-brown-and-black rule is tan and black. I have tan chelseas, Timbs boots, and driving mocs. I just make sure that either my pants or my top are light colored so the tan shoes don't pop too much.

Aside from my black and tan shoes, my other shoes that can go with black tops and coats are my white Stan Smiths and gray canvas sneakers. So really it's just my dark brown Clarks DBs and derby brogues that I don't combine with my blacks.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    +1 for the RM williams. Also take a look at Styleforum. If your style leans more streetwear and denim, some super expensive black, maybe reverse shell cordovan boots could really be your thing. Also look at Heschung and Paraboot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe go for a cheaper boot of a different design such as a black Chelsea....Then if you like the look and feel comfortable with it, you can get the boots you hanker after and you won't have too much of an over lap between them...

Also remember you're going to need a black leather belt and possibly a black watch strap as well....
    Last edited by Pete E; August 20th, 2018 at 04:20 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks for your opinions everyone. Lots of roads to choose.

Unfortunately a Chelsea doesn’t fit my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk