Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepare for Life After the Stan Smith Apocalypse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Prepare for Life After the Stan Smith Apocalypse

Hello Friends,

A few weeks ago a colleague stopped me by the coffee machine. He looked concerned. Freaked out. Rattled. Like he'd forgotten to lock the toilet door and someone important from the company had walked in on him taking a dump.

But that wasn't it. Something much worse was weighing on his mind.

'Hey man,' he said. 'I was at a sneaker store the other day and someone told me that Adidas is going to start deliberately limiting the supply of Stan Smiths for a few years to make them seem scarce. I know that's your shoe, so I wanted to tell you ... I wanted you to be the first to know'

He's right, that is my shoe. I rock Stans a lot. Every season. All four of them, in fact. At work. When I'm not at work. Like I said, that's my shoe. So, this news was worrying. But, what does some random person at some random sneaker store really know about my shoe, right? Like, Adidas would be fools if they turned their back on the $150 I drop annually on Stans (2 pairs per year ... and sometimes a third if I find something fun).

A few weeks later, I see this article: https://qz.com/quartzy/1352430/adida...rce=reddit.com 'Oh no!!!' I say to myself. 'What if it's true!?'

Today, I logged onto the Adidas website. Punch in "Stan Smiths". Punch in "11.5". Guess how many designs they have in my size? Guess?

What's your guess?

Here's the answer: One. And the black leather version. The only version I probably wouldn't buy. And then it dawned on me ... maybe it's true. Maybe we're witnessing The Stan Smith Apocalypse. Maybe my shoe is going on sabbatical. Maybe ... I'm going to have to find a new sneaker to buy.

So, I'm writing this post for two reasons. First reason: I was supposed to be on a call for work at 3PM, and the person didn't pick up, so I have 5 minutes to spare. Second reason: I want to ask you, fashion friends, what alternatives you recommend for the post-Stan Smith era.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I like the Rod Laver a lot, and actually prefer it to the Stan Smith for the summer because the mesh upper is more breathable than leather. Unless...they're not throttling the supply of those too are they?
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Just get the Samba instead?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Just get the Samba instead?
    They have a weirdly long tongue, and haven't got that clean, minimal silhouette that is so very simple, and so very brilliant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Puma do several mens white leather trainers: Basket, Astro Cup, Icra and I think Smash to name a few.

In general, I find Adidas a bit narrow for my feet, and in addition although the Stan Smiths are considered iconic, I simply hate that gross looking pic of Stan Smith on the tongue...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    i find the stan smith too common and chunky. the issue is the alternatives are at least double the price i want the epaulet all white trainers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Foot Locker has them in other styles in other sizes. Maybe check out other vendors than Adidas proper?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    I like the Clae Bradley sneakers -similar look and feel but a little more minimalist I guess. Pricy but I found a deal for $60.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Greats Royale has a very similar silhouette but is definitely more money, May be worth it to you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    Puma do several mens white leather trainers: Basket, Astro Cup, Icra and I think Smash to name a few.

In general, I find Adidas a bit narrow for my feet, and in addition although the Stan Smiths are considered iconic, I simply hate that gross looking pic of Stan Smith on the tongue...
    I also like the PUMA Men's Basket Classic Lfs Fashion Sneaker. Low profile and clean. They are $40 on Amazon
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski