Thread: Mold!!! What to do?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)

Mold!!! What to do?

This morning I pulled out my beloved AE Higgins Mills to wear for the first time since the spring, only to find a fair amount of mold growing on them! Any advice on what to do here? Are they salvageable?? I love these boots. Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    I have nothing helpful to say except eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
    Ben

Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    I will add (slightly more helpfully) that you may want to check the area where you've been storing them to see if you've had any water damage or flooding. Moldy shoes is pretty dang weird if they are stored somewhere with ordinary humidity levels and air flow.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    I'm interested to know more as well. I have a pair of leather soled Astorflex boots that I'm worried might have a little mold in the sole. They don't look like the OP's boots though. My mold (if that's what it is) is just on the bottom of the sole toward the toe of the sole.

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and the boots sit on a rack off the ground, so no worries about flood.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    We've had an extraordinary amount of rain this summer and have been dealing with dampness, (though no actual water seepage) on our basement/ground level. The boots were on the floor at the bottom of our shoe rack in our basement entryway and haven't really seen the light of day all summer. I just hadn't given it any thought.

I did some googling after making this post, and it seems like mold growth on leather goods, especially within the tack world, is a pretty common thing. For anyone else that may ever deal with this, here are some links I found. I will probably try one of these and see if it helps. I really hope it does, as I would hate to lose the boots.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-rem...eather-2147182

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...leather-shoes/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6571044.html

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    50/50 vinegar and water solution, spray bottle, clean, condition, profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    50/50 vinegar and water solution, spray bottle, clean, condition, profit.
    Agreed; I use white vinegar for such tasks. I've never had to clean boots, but did save an old horse harness leather belt that had languished a little too long in a garden shed.....I would add that I would check any other items stored in the basement as well, including hanging clothes ect...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can also mix ammonia and water in a 50/50 solution. Then use it to clean your shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I had hidden plumbing leak a couple years back and had to have a mold remediation. The guy who runs the company that did that said Concrobium Mold Control is a very good and effective product. I'm not entirely sure what the active ingredient is but it's non-toxic. Whether it is safe for leather I don't know. Available at Home Depot in (I think) the paint section.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Well it seems that the scrub then vinegar-water mixture did the trick. They actually cleaned up very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk