Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Enthusiasts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Car Enthusiasts

Anyone else on Dappered have a hobby of spending too much time building/playing with cars? I saw a thread that's about 3 years ago, but it was focused on style versus building or car related hobbies.

I've done OEM+ builds on 25+ cars over the last 10+ years, and recently finished my first refurbishing (calling it a restoration would give me too much credit... hah) a classic car.

Here's a good picture of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/13BrqbLzhdc3JgYg7

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Is that a Caterham? Gorgeous color, green is great for a british classic.

I used to help out showing a 1954 Jaguar XK120 drophead at the local Concours and when I was a kid we went to the Monterey historics races a few times. I love classic cars and wish I had the funds/space/time/knowledge to buy one to fix up myself.

I limit myself to doing tires/suspension on the Toyotas I've owned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've been in the import tuning scene since my old '91 Integra. I don't find too many dapper guys who also know what an intake manifold gasket is.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    I love beautiful cars and unique cars. To me, a beautiful car is kind of like a beautiful pair of shoes and driving one (or wearing one) is showing appreciation for the skill and craftsmanship that went into its design and production.

I've owned some pretty sweet cars in the past, but I don't have the garage or driveway space these days and the city where I live does not allow parking on the streets overnight--not that I would want to do that anyways.

As far as tuning--jeez, I haven't done anything myself since I was a kid. Cars were so much easier to work on back then.

I'm going to semi-retire in the next couple of years and move out of this megalopolis. I keep warning my wife that I will start collecting cars when I have the space. And I will probably start learning how to turn a wrench again.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    I appreciate cars, but I’ve never been able to take the time to learn the ins and outs of repairing/restoring them. My first car was an ‘85 Mustang that my dad & I bought for $500 that we were going to fix up, but it was too far beyond repair for us to be able to invest in. I’ve loved Mustangs ever since and currently drive a 2012 that I’ll be trading in next year when the 2020 models come out, though!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    When I had more time, I wrenched on my cars. My early cars were just standard maintenance items but then I supercharged an RSX I had which was a lot of fun but was a money pit. Basic maintenance doesn't interest me so I leave it to the dealer but my wife and I talk about buying and older car for fun. The hard part if taking a list of things you could buy then deciding to purchase one.

Cars on our list consist of importing a >25yr old car from Europe so there are a lot of options from Land Rover Defenders, MB G-Wagens, air-cooled Porsche's, and vintage BMWs to US based cased and SUVs. She has an eye for an SUV but I want something small and 5-speed.

The problem is, say our budget was $35K, what we would be satisfied with? The search would be world wide at that point and I always feel like I would be let down. Similarly, I could get a weekend convertible Boxster and be plenty happy with it.

Sorry for the rambling...a boy can dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've got an '05 S2000 as the weekend toy that I unfortunately do not get to drive enough.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Two red beauties from 1957.

*Not my car
    Ben

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    I'd definitely consider myself an enthusiast, although it always tends to be on the back-burner. I've got a 1968 Mustang Fastback that's gorgeous, but it has spent most of it's life lately parked in cramped garage/basement, mid project. My wife and I are actually moving to the 'burbs later this year, so I'm excited about the spacious three car garage that awaits. Of course we're also having our first kid, so I'm not expecting an abundance of free time.

Fortunately I work for an automotive company in a role that allows me to occasionally get to scratch my itch of spiritedly driving fun cars.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    I appreciate cars but don't have the time, space, or budget to invest in restoring cars despite loving them. I hate how cars are also going the way they are where owners cannot even do the routine maintenance without a dealer.

My dad had a 71 (Or 72?) Jag XKE v12 that I adored and hoped one day he'd leave to me to restore but they sold it. My FIL and MIL have a 1954 one 90 that is in need of some restoration that we will need garage space for one day.

I hope one day to drive around in that one 90 or get a Sunday fun car.