Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AE brown vs walnut

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim3 View Post
    $40 upcharge for a special makeup with Dainite soles.
    Right--that's in addition to the base charge of $125 for re-crafting, I believe. I would hope they could do something less than that on a pair of new shoes that doesn't need re-crafting, but if not, $165 upcharge for a different type of sole isn't cheap, right?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Right--that's in addition to the base charge of $125 for re-crafting, I believe. I would hope they could do something less than that on a pair of new shoes that doesn't need re-crafting, but if not, $165 upcharge for a different type of sole isn't cheap, right?
    A few of us seem to have consistent experiences where we've spent $40 at time of purchase to get the soles we want. Not a recraft.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    A few of us seem to have consistent experiences where we've spent $40 at time of purchase to get the soles we want. Not a recraft.
    Did you call in and place the order by phone? That really seems quite reasonable to me.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Did you call in and place the order by phone? That really seems quite reasonable to me.
    Mine was in person in NYC midtown store in Rock Center. Maybe 2 years ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    True with my orders. I walk or ride my bike to work over some less than ideal surfaces, so I've had few AE shoes made up with Dainite soles. $40 each time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    So, I just bought a pair of these shoes and was about to suggest them as a possibility. FWIW, I think the clear mini-lug looks cool as hell, but that is a matter of taste of course; that and the natural cxl makes this a more casual shoe--which is kind of what your looking for (pairing with jeans/chinos).

AE does do free returns, so if you get them and don't like them ...
    Would you be willing to post a few pics? The pics on the AE site are always so terrible, but to the point that cristophe made it's a bit of a pain for me to get to an actual store.

I did just realized that the clearance is an extra 20% off which means the brown McCallisters are actually $210 cheaper, and the McTavishes are under $200. I could potentially just get both and see if I like them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Be happy to post pics but I ordered shoes on line. Not sure if they've even shipped yet. Will post if they get here on time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Be happy to post pics but I ordered shoes on line. Not sure if they've even shipped yet. Will post if they get here on time.
    Had you seen them in person, or just the online pics?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdapg View Post
    Had you seen them in person, or just the online pics?
    I do not live near an AE store which is why I ordered on line. However, over the summer I was able to see them in person twice at an AE store (knowing I was interested in them). In terms of the sole, I also bought the Caen boot which also has the same clear mini-lug and it looked great.
    Overall, the color of the McT on the website is about what I remember seeing in the store--just more matte and not as shiny (supposedly AE uses super-bright lighting when the take pics).
    Also, FYI if you are not familiar with it, the natural CXL leather used in the McTavish will darken over time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Should be able to post pics Thursday night