Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AE brown vs walnut

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Google “wingtips and jeans”. If you hit the images tab, there are a ton of images that could help you decide if the look is what you are going for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i have brown strands, and constantly wish i had walnut ones.
    I have walnut Strands that I never wear - I much prefer brown. I have Kenilworths, Ralph Lauren Sandersons (longwings made by AE), and Ralph Lauren tassel loafers (also made by AE) all in brown. I find that i can wear all three of these with outfits ranging from business suits to faded denim.

For me, my Strands are now in my “trying too hard” pile. Especially with darker suits, I just feel like they stand out too much and scream “Look at my Broguing!”

Call me boring and I might not disagree with you...

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    I have walnut Strands that I never wear - I much prefer brown. I have Kenilworths, Ralph Lauren Sandersons (longwings made by AE), and Ralph Lauren tassel loafers (also made by AE) all in brown. I find that i can wear all three of these with outfits ranging from business suits to faded denim.

For me, my Strands are now in my “trying too hard” pile. Especially with darker suits, I just feel like they stand out too much and scream “Look at my Broguing!”

Call me boring and I might not disagree with you...
    Walnut strands were my first AEs. Now they're my least worn for that exact reason. I like having them for summer weddings and parties (generally worn with my lighter grey suiting) or if I'm doing a tonal brown/tan + blue pants look that needs something extra... but that isn't that often relative to the constant wear my brown MacNeil (finally remembered the longwing name) and brown bit loafers (again, forget the AE version's name) get. I think AE's darker brown is just a really nice warm color that isn't too dark or too light. Good for use with just about anything.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdapg View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts all. I think a better way of phrasing my question is if my intuition that the brown color is dressier than the merlot color is correct. As one can see from the post from Joe I linked in my first post, merlot can look nice with dark denim but I already avoid it. As for bourbon, I'm specifically interested in a pair with dainite soles which isn't available in bourbon. That's also the same issue with the stuttgart suggestion.

I care less about the open & closed toe debate than most although I have a pair of strandmoks which would cover most of my denim usage, but I was looking something with a rubber sole which would cover the zone a notch or two nicer looking.
    Ignoring the open/closed lace issue, I love my oxblood AE McNeils with jeans. Merlot is pretty close to oxblood, no? I would go with the merlot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdapg View Post
    I think a better way of phrasing my question is if my intuition that the brown color is dressier than the merlot color is correct.
    Brown versus merlot formality is getting into a question of shades. It's mostly whichever is closer to black.

However, for traditionalists the rule is no brown in town (brown being found on the footwear of farmers and hunters, not sophisticated/monied urbanites). Merlot gets an edge in formality by dint of not being associated with rural inhabitants, if the shades are the same.

Chili, which is somewhere between AE brown and bourbon, might work.

AE merlot is purple-based, while oxblood is red-based. Merlot shoes also seem to usually be darker.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    no brown in town
    this isn't actually a rule people actually use for anything. may have been for some person in England in the 1800's or something ridiculous, but unless you're cosplaying Charles Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, i'm going to guess it's an absolutely stupid, uninformed and inane thing to repeat.

Basically the whole of men's dress shoes for the last ten years has revolved around brown shoes, and brown shoes have been incredibly popular in this country for all sorts of uses for the last 100 years at least. It just shoes how out of touch you are to hear anyone say something like that in relation to anything real life.

You should be punished with having to ride around in a horse carriage, and wear a barristers wig and a top hat for the next month as punishment even mentioning that shoe hate speech.

what an ignorant thing to say!
    Last edited by evanparker; August 10th, 2018 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Go for the walnut; you will not regret it. I have walnut McGregors that I wear with jeans and various chinos--blue, and various shades of tan.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    this isn't actually a rule people actually use for anything. may have been for some person in England in the 1800's or something ridiculous, but unless you're cosplaying Charles Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, i'm going to guess it's an absolutely stupid, uninformed and inane thing to repeat.

Basically the whole of men's dress shoes for the last ten years has revolved around brown shoes, and brown shoes have been incredibly popular in this country for all sorts of uses for the last 100 years at least. It just shoes how out of touch you are to hear anyone say something like that in relation to anything real life.

You should be punished with having to ride around in a horse carriage, and wear a barristers wig and a top hat for the next month as punishment even mentioning that shoe hate speech.

what an ignorant thing to say!
    I LOL'd at this, especially the cosplay bit. Generally agree with the takeaway, but I think he was just referencing why he thinks merlot might have an edge on brown in terms of the Q on which is more formal--by referencing historical context for the black vs. brown debate. I think we can all admit black is still more formal than brown, but that the instances where brown is "inappropriate" or that show a class distinction have really dwindled.

Otherwise, definitely check merlot/oxblood colors in person for AE. There can be a material difference that's hard to really get a feel for online.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Also, it appears that AE is discontinuing the burnished brown color. I'm sure it will be replaced by something not too dissimilar, but still, it may lead to some decent pickups on clearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The MacNeil is what I really wanted when I went into this, but I wanted a Dainite sole and that's not available. Unfortunately most of the alternative suggestions here are tied to leather soles. I could get a tap from a cobbler, but didn't really want to go that route.

Burban mentioned the brown going on clearance, it appears that's why the brown/dainite mcallister is so much cheaper.

This thread did make me look again at the chili & oxblood options. I do really love the merlot, and I find the oxblood to be a bit less formal of a color, although not sure I want two burgundy verisons of the same shoe.