Thread: LL Bean jacket fit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

LL Bean jacket fit

Does anyone have any insight as to how LL Bean jackets fit? I have been looking at these two jackets:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1208...y%20Gray&csp=a
    https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1156...y%20Gray&csp=a

LL Bean is one of the only companies that makes a medium tall and sells decent quality field jackets (I know one of those isn't a field jacket). I really like Orvis's stuff, and they do sell a medium tall, but my experience with them is that everything is cut quite large. I want something more fitted. The Foreside jacket is described as "slightly fitted," but it still looks pretty big on that guy. For reference, I'm 6'4", 185 lbs, wear a size 40L coat (although the chest/shoulders are starting to get tight), and wear a 32 waist in most pants. I would expect something from J Crew or BR to be more fitted, but IMO, they haven't put out a decent quality, good looking field jacket in medium tall the last few years. The one or two jackets that they have released that I liked were not sold in tall for some reason.

I'm also not above taking it to the tailor for some slimming up, but I've read that most tailors will not take in field jackets. I'm assuming it's because of the stiff and rugged material and multiple layers involved?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I have zero experience with those two jackets, however my experience over the last two years is that their regular line of items typically has a larger, boxier cut. The “signature” line is where you’d find a more slimming cut. But you’d pay for it.

With that said, I’ve had some luck here and there with random pieces fitting right in my normal size.
    I’ve also had luck with just sizing down.

For example I almost purchased in store the Baxter parka last winter. I would have purchased a small for all the right reasons and I’m never less than a medium.

Just some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1809 Post(s)
    I think they can provide you with garment measurements if you email CS.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I concur with Jmeyers. I don't know how they sell anything to someone who isn't in the morbidly obese body mass index category, as everything I've bought from them over the past couple of decades has been very full cut. I have a size small T shirt my parents got me as a stocking stuffer. According to their size chart I'm on the small end of medium and that small is comically big on me. I wear it for painting and other clothes destroying work around the house. Everything they sell is returnable so I would order your size according to the size chart, a size smaller, and return the one that doesn't fit - or return them both if neither fits. Fuller cuts are starting to come back in so maybe it'll work out.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    I can't size down because I wear a medium tall. LL Bean is one of the few companies to make a medium tall; no one makes a small tall outside of speciality companies. I'm 6'4" and their regular mediums have 32-33" sleeves, so no way I could go with a regular length small. I think I'll order them and try them out in medium tall. I just hate buying and returning unnecessarily. Even if the returns are free, it's still such a waste of resources for everyone involved. If they don't work, I'll see what BR, J Crew, and Bonobos put out this fall.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I own their flying tiger jacket - it's fantastically made and can take a hell of a beating, but it is definitely not flattering to my body. I'm 6'2" and 225 lb (and it's NOT muscle) - the jacket makes me look pretty seriously overweight.

I wear it because i like it and because it was my dad's but be ready to take whatever LL Bean makes to the tailor, it's defintiely made for guys who like a boxier profile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbumman View Post
    I own their flying tiger jacket - it's fantastically made and can take a hell of a beating, but it is definitely not flattering to my body. I'm 6'2" and 225 lb (and it's NOT muscle) - the jacket makes me look pretty seriously overweight.

I wear it because i like it and because it was my dad's but be ready to take whatever LL Bean makes to the tailor, it's defintiely made for guys who like a boxier profile.
    Anyone have experience with getting a field jacket tailored? I've got a very good tailor, but I concluded it wasn't really an option after looking around on google.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)
    I have the classic LL Bean Field coat. I picked it up last Fall as it was a steal on eBay. It is a much fuller cut than the other field coat I have. It works best on nights that require a sweater. Late fall/early winter imo. I like it though, as it isnt restricting when I want a nice sweater or layers under a jacket. As far as tailoring goes, I wouldnt bother, as they would have to rebuild the whole coat. The arms and body are both fuller cut.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    So a quick update:

The Foreside field jacket looked great and was excellent quality, but as expected, it was cut quite large. It was a medium tall, and I could have worn a baselayer, flannel, sweatshirt, and small tall Foreside field jacket underneath it. This is disappointing because it was a really good looking jacket.

The soft shell jacket fit better, but I was less interested in it. Nothing really wrong with it other than it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. If it had fit perfectly, I probably would have kept it, but it was still a little big in the midsection.

I think I have to resign myself to the fact that if I am going to continue to stay in great shape, clothes are going to continue to fit me worse. Mass produced clothes are made for the unfit -- either overweight or sickly thin -- and not for the apparently rare athletic body. I had hoped J Crew would offer a solution, but they have cut all tall sizes out of their current jacket/coat line for the fall. Maybe BR can throw me a bone when they release their new jacket line.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Thanks for the fit update! Sorry they didn't work out for you!