Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirt & Tie Help for Wedding

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Shirt & Tie Help for Wedding

I rarely dress up. My office is casual so every day Iím in jeans/chinos and a polo or button down collar shirt. I have a wedding to attend in September. I donít own a suit or a pair of dress pants. The last wedding I went to was casual so it didnít matter but I need to be a bit more dressed up for this one. Buying a suit to wear once is out of the question. I did buy a pair of dress pants at the Nordstrom sale:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...or=grey%20gate

I need a shirt and tie that works with the grey pants. Straight or spread collar? What tie? What would you guys recommend? I donít want to spend a lot of money and Iíd like something I may get some future wear out of.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    You'd look better with a sports jacket. Everyone does. And you might get to like it and wear it when you go out to dinner or on a date. A sports jacket and open shirt almost invariably looks better than a shirt and tie.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Yeah, shirt and tie with no jacket is a bad idea. And while I don't know your exact circumstances, I'd be surprised if a sports coat doesn't come in handy at least occasionally in the future. How formal is the wedding? A navy blazer would go with the grey pants and would also be pretty versatile going forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the wedding invitation didn’t say what the dress was. The wedding is at 5:00 with a sit down dinner reception. I see what you guys are saying about a blue blazer. I may need to get it one. It’s just that in the last 5 years I’ve probably had to wear a tie once. If I do buy a blue blazer, what about the shirt and tie? Any suggestions? You guys will probably not approve of my shoes haha. The dressiest pair I have is a pair of brown brogues by Born. My other shoes are brown chukkas with a crepe sole and Cole Haan brown leather sneakers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    White or light blue are the safest shirt colors. Almost any tie color will work with either of those plus a blue blazer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    Just not a black tie with a blue blazer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    As for shirt and tie to go with your pants, I would think light blue shirt and a burgundy or dark purple could work well.

Now, unless your budget is tight and/or you're pretty certain that you will be fine without a jacket, I would strongly suggest you consider a solid navy suit.
    I think it's one of the most important pieces for almost any grown man's wardrobe.

You could wear them to an interview for a promotion, or a different job that might require you to dress up a bit. For a lot of upscale social events, even just taking your partner out to a fancy dinner, you would make a good impression by wearing a well fitting navy suit.

And you can wear the jacket and pants separately to get more versatile use out of them.

Banana Republic is going to have a 50% off sale soon, which will put their suits below $300 range, or Macy's and JC Penney also has a decent selection of affordable suits in a $150 to $300 range.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    @Hokiechris I have to agree with a lot of the guys above that a navy blazer would be helpful in this situation. They're good for weddings where the dress code is unclear and just generally (you never know when you could have a situation where you need to dress up a notch).

As far as what to wear the blazer and slacks, I'd go with a white shirt (classic and works with everything) or a very light sky blue shirt. If you don't like burgundy or purple for a tie, feel free to go with a blue tie (navy or a light blue) or gray tie (in a different shade than the pants) in either solid or stripes.

Also, send a pic of the shoes if you're worried about them. A pair of brown brogues should be fine. Chukka boots could also work--just put some leather conditioner and some neutral shoe wax one them before the wedding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. Iím sold on the navy blazer. I have a month to find one, hopefully something good will be on sale. I was looking around on the Tie Bar website and I like the idea of a dark green, burgundy, eggplant color tie with a light blue shirt.

The chukkas I have are these in brown https://www.ugg.com/men-desert-boots...&start=2&cgid=

The wingtips are like these https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RUgAA...j9r/s-l400.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What type of look are you going for? I am a clothes guy and I have several suits, but these days I wear a lot of blazers these days. I never buy anything to wear just once. That is just throwing money away. Look at this as an opportunity to expand your wardrobe. Buy things that you will get many uses out of.

If I was you I would buy a navy blazer (which you will get use out of), a white shirt (which you will get use out of) and a pocket square. They are cheaper than ties and they will make you stand out.

I have always found it helpful to look at pictures to figure out what kind of look I want to go for. Take a look at Instagram for some ideas. Mine is @thejettstyle but there are many that will help give you ideas.