Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At wit's end: Where to buy tux cummerbund & bow tie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

At wit's end: Where to buy tux cummerbund & bow tie?

Hi All,

I've done the research, made up my mind, decided I will buy Kent Wang's grograin self tie bow tie and matching grograin cummerbund, only to find out the bow tie is out of stock. I have my wedding the first week of September, and with no re-stock date in sight (I asked), I have to move on to another company.

What company should I buy my cummerbund and bow tie from? I own the SuitSupply plain black peak lapel tuxedo, the silk material is basically a textured satin.

So far I have looked at: J. Hilburn, Gentlemen's Gazette (cummerbund out of stock), Drakes, and Brooks Bros (can't really tell material but from the looks of it only satin is offered).

Any recommendations for a good cummerbund/butterfly bow tie pairing with the SuitSupply tux I own?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CPtheCoug; August 1st, 2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    I have the same tux and had the exact same problem you do. I ordered the Hilburn bowtie and cummerbund, and it was not even close to matching the facing on the tuxedo. I would say the tuxedo facing is more of a satin that has a twill-like texture (I know I'm butchering the proper fabric terminology here). It definitely has that satin sheen, and it looked way off next to the Hilburn grosgrain. The Hilburn items are a traditional proper grosgrain, much like the Kent Wang items. I ended up with the plain satin tie and cummerbund from TheTieBar (I was in a timing pinch), and although it was clear they weren't a perfect match, it looked way better. This is my only real regret about the SuitSupply tux, but given the infrequency of wear it's not a big deal. YMMV.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)
    Not sure about matching what you have, but Fine and Dandy in NYC sells those, both in-person and online. I got a set there which seem nice.

https://fineanddandyshop.com/

TMann
    Perhaps this is too low-end for what you were looking for, but I purchased a satin bow tie, black cummerbund and white braces from The Tie Bar (thetiebar.com.) Paid about $75 for all three. They obviously aren't as nice as what you're looking for (and I see that your'e looking for a grosgrain tie) but they worked just fine for the black tie benefit event that I was attending. I think that my linen pocket square may have come from The Tie Bar as well.

Sadly, the bar is pretty low for looking good at most black tie events. If you have a decent, well-fitting dinner jacket and your accessories are worn properly, you'll still look better than 90% of the men that you'll see.

Good luck! And enjoy the wedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I have the same tux and had the exact same problem you do. I ordered the Hilburn bowtie and cummerbund, and it was not even close to matching the facing on the tuxedo. I would say the tuxedo facing is more of a satin that has a twill-like texture (I know I'm butchering the proper fabric terminology here). It definitely has that satin sheen, and it looked way off next to the Hilburn grosgrain. The Hilburn items are a traditional proper grosgrain, much like the Kent Wang items. I ended up with the plain satin tie and cummerbund from TheTieBar (I was in a timing pinch), and although it was clear they weren't a perfect match, it looked way better. This is my only real regret about the SuitSupply tux, but given the infrequency of wear it's not a big deal. YMMV.
    Yeah I noticed that too, thank you for the heads up! I was actually leaning towards the Hilburn set so I would have been pissed if I had made that purchase haha.

I'd liked that Kent Wang price range, seemed like a good "in-between" from Tie Bar Level and Drake's level quality. I am really only going for "nicer" quality products simply because its my wedding day and I want to look gooooooood (plus in my field of work I have many opportunities each year to wear a tux so I know it'll get some mileage regardless).

Of the other silk types: "faille" grosgrain, "Moire", "Barathea", etc..., which one would you think would apply best to the SS Tux? I suppose I (or "we") would have to go after a non-matte looking material in this case?

Thanks again for your input!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have the faille set from David Donahue which is a very good match with my SuitSupply lapels and on par in price with Kent Wang. However, my tux is from a few years, and I think they may have changed the lapels to more of a satin recently. The faille version is available on Amazon, while the silk version is available at Nordstrom as well.

https://www.amazon.com/David-Donahue.../dp/B00GNDCST4

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/david-d...erbund-tie-set

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I have a BB cummerbund and tie for the actually formal events, and they're perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I have a BB cummerbund and tie for the actually formal events, and they're perfect.
    Material? How does it match the SS Tuxedo material? (the crux of the issue)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPtheCoug View Post
    Material? How does it match the SS Tuxedo material? (the crux of the issue)
    Matches my Black Lapel trousers and Bonobos jacket quite nicely. Also matches my BB tux nicely. I'm going to reach a teensy bit and say it'll likely match my BL peak lapel jacket as well, if only because they use the same material on lapels as they do trousers.

What about taking the jacket into the local BB and comparing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Moire seems to be a kind of shiny grosgrain, just like SuitSupply's lapel facings (at least Fort Belvedere's bow ties seem to look like so), but I do not have any moire accessories, so I'm not 100% sure about it.
    I'm sorry to tell you that after your wedding, but I hope it will at least help you with your other black tie events.
    What did you eventually wear on your wedding day ?