Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At wit's end: Where to buy tux cummerbund & bow tie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Try Beau Ties. I'm grew up not far from their office and have had a few of their ties, which were excellent. They'll make pretty much any product out of any fabric they have, so getting matching tie and cummerbund is no big deal. The price seems comparable to Kent Wang as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by user1234 View Post
    Hi,
    Moire seems to be a kind of shiny grosgrain, just like SuitSupply's lapel facings (at least Fort Belvedere's bow ties seem to look like so), but I do not have any moire accessories, so I'm not 100% sure about it.
    I'm sorry to tell you that after your wedding, but I hope it will at least help you with your other black tie events.
    What did you eventually wear on your wedding day ?
    I ended up purchasing the David Donahue bow tie and cummerbund set off of Amazon (see post above) and the texture was darn near identical to my SS tux. Very happy I went that direction.

I have a new problem though, lol, one of my best buddies who attended my wedding loved what I wore. He has his June wedding coming up and for his wedding he wants his groomsmen to wear what I wore at my wedding, but with one difference... he is leaning towards waistcoats instead of cummerbunds. I'll be a groomsmen at his wedding, so score I don't have to rent anything, but now I need to figure out where I can buy a waistcoat that can match my SS tux!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    At least with waistcoats there's some flexibility in fabrics. You can go with an all-silk design, or one which mirrors the silk facing and wool body of the jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I have the Suit Supply Tuxedo with grosgrain lapels and couldn't find the matching set except at Joseph A. Bank, 95 bucks for the set. I never shop there because of their prices but I kind of had the same problem you did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Update:

Buddy is going with black peak label tuxedos (score!), plain white tux shirt, no cummerbund nor waistcoat, black braces, black onyx and silver studs/cuffs, and black diamond tip bow ties.

Pretty good look, but to match I'll need to aquire:
    1. Black diamond tip bow tie - God I have to go through the whole "does this material match my lapel?" process all over again! Love/hate my SS tux for this lol
    2. Silver studs/cuffs - I might just borrow/rent these. For my wedding I bought a gold mother of pearl set.
    3. Black braces - Again I might just borrow/rent this. For my wedding I purchased the white/gold braces set from Albert Thurston ("Coug, CP the Coug").

All for now...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If SS sells tuxes, why don't they sell cummerbunds and bow ties? I mean, that's just crazy that you can't get those pretty essential accessories to a tux from the same folks that sell the tux. Maybe they make a waistcoat that goes with the tux (that would at least obviate the need for a cummerbund)? I don't know enough about formal wear to know if matching the tie texture/sheen to the lapel of the tux jacket is essential or not.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    Suitsupply does sell bow ties, shirt studs, cuff links, suspenders, etc. I know they sell vests/waistcoats but not that they specifically market in their eveningwear shop. No cummerbunds, but that's probably because they view them as outdated/unnecessary.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    If SS sells tuxes, why don't they sell cummerbunds and bow ties? I mean, that's just crazy that you can't get those pretty essential accessories to a tux from the same folks that sell the tux. Maybe they make a waistcoat that goes with the tux (that would at least obviate the need for a cummerbund)? I don't know enough about formal wear to know if matching the tie texture/sheen to the lapel of the tux jacket is essential or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Suitsupply does sell bow ties, shirt studs, cuff links, suspenders, etc. I know they sell vests/waistcoats but not that they specifically market in their eveningwear shop. No cummerbunds, but that's probably because they view them as outdated/unnecessary.
    They do sell a tuxedo accessories package (I own it, too) that includes shoes, bowtie, shirt studs & cufflinks. The cummerbund, however, is absent. Why? I have no idea. It seems so simply to add to it, as I have seen this question appear frequently on here and /r/malefashionadvice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I got to be honest. The silk material on the lapel of the SS tux has been a major pain in the butt for trying to find matching bow ties and cummerbunds, et. al.

Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    Is perfect matching really a big deal? I use an old J.Crew cummerbund with my SS tux. Who cares if they match perfectly, it's not like you really see much of the cummerbund anyway, it's mostly there to hide that little white triangle of shirt that sometimes peeks through under the jacket button and give the illusion of higher waist/longer legs. SS sells bow ties so matching shouldn't be an issue there.
    Ben