Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Shorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Lazy Shorts

Afternoon Everyone,

As a man who hit high school in the early aughts, I'm the (not) proud owner of more than a few poor fashion habits. I've been tackling them one by one, and next up is my athletic shorts. EVERY casual pair (think bumming around the house in the summer or running quick errands) I own is 10 years old, and as such falls a good 2 or 3 inches below my knees and is baggy as hell. Has anybody had good luck finding a pair of casual shorts that don't say "Nike" all over them and look respectable enough that I can leave the house in them? Not looking to hit the Met Gala in these things nor will they be used for hardcore exercise. Just want a couple pairs that I'm not embarrassed to wear for quick trips to the dog park or the grocery store.

Appreciate the help!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    I think there is a difference between casual and athletic shorts. Casual shorts to me are old navy chino types that I usually get 1" above the knee and use those when going out and about. They are the right price with a decent style but I wouldn't mind if they got banged up.

Gym type shorts are different and while I've run errands in them it's usually after the gym etc. These are my go to type around the house and gym. For those I love the Nike Dri-FIT Men's 9" Training Shorts, they are not way too short, not baggy like basketball shorts, come in nice standard colors that are not overally logo'd, etc. I've had a few pairs for several years and they hold up.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    What are you looking to spend? Are these intended to be gym short material or more for use as shorts generally?

A good medium that I've come to love wearing for both gym and casual/bumming are Outdoor Voices shorts. A little pricey at $65, but really comfortable, not too short or long, nice basic colors and a little texture to the color. Drawstring waist, but also doesn't absolutely scream gym due to no logos or crazy stripes/patterns, etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Uniqlo Dry Stretch Easy Shorts. Love them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Definitely looking for more "athletic" shorts than "casual". I'm replacing baggy basketball shorts. I would really love to keep them under $40.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I love Public Rec pants and am considering their shorts as well. HYLETE also has good casual shorts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I just re-read this. The shorts I mentioned are not cheap

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    Vuori is probably one of my favorite “athleisure” brands. I use their shorts primarily for crossfit, but also for swimming and other warm weather outdoor activities, especially when I want a little more coverage compared to my more European-style swim trunks. They’re running a sale on their website right now that brings their shorts down close to your price range. I like the Banks (unlined, board short-ish) and Trail (lined, more gym short-ish) models best. The inseams are relatively long but should still hit at or above the knee and the sizing runs a little big (I am normally between a small and a medium, I go small on these).

REI sells them in-store so you can check your preferred size/style in-person and then buy online from Vuori’s sale if you want to save some money. Assuming you are near an REI.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not sure why, but I think I like those Hylete's the best. A little outside of my budget, but found a coupon code to bring them down to about $45 a piece for two. Gunna give them a shot. Thanks for your help everyone.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    Hyletes are pretty nice. I have some of those for crossfit, too. Just be aware that a lot of their models don’t have regular pockets, just weird side zip ones. I think I like the model with regular pockets best.
    Ben