Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Southern California mayor proposes a neck tie ban.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    I find men's fashion fascinating. I think contemporary men's fashion has an opportunity to promote social equity by deconstructing written and unwritten dress codes that we-as-a-society have, consciously or unconsciously, inherited from generations of people who were explicitly and intentionally racist, classist, and sexist. And I think men's fashion often -- unfortunately often -- fails to do that necessary work because roughly half of the Men's Fashion Internet Population finds the entire idea of placing fashion in its social context to be tedious.
    You wanna promote social equity? Tell people not to judge a book by its cover, oh, wait, we've tried that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    How we dress is largely about sending signals to others.

How you dress is a choice, and professional dress when appropriate is a means of signalling to others that you are capable of paying attention to detail and social cues, and to a lesser extent that you have achieved enough success to be able to dress in this manner.

Choosing business attire to perform physical labor, on the other hand, signals to others that you're an idiot (exceptions are made for sudden necessity). Context matters, which is why so many IT workers discuss on Dappered how to dress down for work.

Every society on Earth has business wear derived from formal wear, with various pieces transformed from functional to decorative (hell, that's the point, the more functional it is the less formal; see flannel). It just happens that the British were the most successful society at the point where the Industrial Revolution began the process of globalizing trade and travel. If it weren't the British court dress, we might all be wearing Nehru jackets or caftans.

There's certainly a history of racism in using dress to signal that one is not a barbarian/foreigner in whatever culture surrounds you. However, there's a big difference between specifying a level of dress and specifying a particular culture's dress. This mayor's proposal doesn't give people more choice; it only degrades one version of formal dress signal.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I decided to read the journal article cited by the science blog read by the lawmaker in question, originally published in Neuroradiology, Autumn 2018, Vol 60, Issue 8. Here are things that stood out to me:

• The title of the article is "Should you stop wearing neckties?Śwearing a tight necktie reduces cerebral blood flow" [emphasis added].
    • The sample size was small, only 30 adult men in their mid 20s.
    • The study used a Windosr knot tightened to the "point of slight discomfort," a point which the study admits to being "assessed subjectively."
    • Cerebral blood flow (CBF) continued to decrease even after the necktie was untied.

Considering that the average reduction of CBF after the consumption of caffeine averaged 27%, according to this 2009 study, perhaps the good mayor should encourage abstinence from that neurostimulant?

-Vic
    Nothing like reading the manual, eh?

I don't tighten my ties to the point of discomfort, slight or otherwise. Nobody should.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Nothing like reading the manual, eh?

I don't tighten my ties to the point of discomfort, slight or otherwise. Nobody should.
    If their shirt is the correct neck size the tie should never restrict blood flow when snugged up to the top.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    If their shirt is the correct neck size the tie should never restrict blood flow when snugged up to the top.
    Very good point. I actually get more restriction from the collar of my shirt (sometimes), trying to button it, sweating, trying to get the button through the hole... than I do with the tie.