Thread: Defintion of Black Tie Wedding

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Defintion of Black Tie Wedding

Hey there,

My fiancée and I are getting married next spring, and in our invitations, we clearly state that it's a black tie affair. My groomsmen and I are wearing tuxedos.

A few guests have already asked if it means they must wear a tux. What would you tell them? Ultimately, we just want to make sure our guests show up in suits and long gowns.

Related to that, one my fiancée's friends asked if she could wear the dress she wore to her own wedding (white with a lot of silver). It's not a "THIS IS A WEDDING DRESS", but more of a "this could be a wedding dress." What's the etiquette there?

Thanks!

Brandon

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    If you want suits at a minimum, "black tie preferred" is the proper nomenclature. You could also add a parenthetical stating business formal is also acceptable.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    If you want suits at a minimum, "black tie preferred" is the proper nomenclature. You could also add a parenthetical stating business formal is also acceptable.
    Sounds like the invitations are already out.

One thing the OP could do is post some guidelines on their wedding website page (almost everyone has these now, right?).

We had a very unusual dress code for our wedding because the theme was patterned after the old Bogart movie, Casablanca. The hotel even had a private bar called Rick's Place we used for happy hour. I wore a white dinner jacket like Bogart did in the movie.

So, we posted a lot of photos on our web page giving people ideas of what they could wear. One of my buddies even wore a fez at my request.

I suggest you could do that if you've already sent out the invitations.

Just a page entitled, "We've had a lot of questions about the dress code, here are some ideas."

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    One of my buddies even wore a fez at my request.
    Well shit now I need a fez for the Jazz Age Lawn Party...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post

One thing the OP could do is post some guidelines on their wedding website page (almost everyone has these now, right?).
    Second this idea, good opportunity to clarify if you want more formal (navy / grey wool) vs more casual but still a suit (Blue linen/ cotton etc.)

To your second point, check with the bride - to my knowledge it’s generally not appropriate to wear white / off white / ivory gown to someone else’s wedding as this can be interpreted as drawing attention from the bride. That being said, sounds like you’re familiar with the dress in question so consult with your fiancé and use your best judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk