Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinos - Casual to Formal?

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    917 Post(s)
    Chinos are not all the same, so the thicker the cloth, the more rugged, etc., the less office-appropriate they can be. Unfortunately not all company's give you a ton of info as to which types of chinos are which.

I find that the Bonobos "washed chinos" (aka their original chinos / main go-tos) are generally a bit on the casual side, especially after a few washes. I wear them on casual fridays, etc. but not as normal office attire. However, I wear Bonobos weekday warrior pants (which they term as "dress pants", but they're cotton all the same) as part of my biz attire all the time. Their premium chinos also are a bit more formal and can work for office wear.

Really boils down to what you're comfortable in, and how it works in your office. Ideally you can compare some choices side by side, which will be the best way to see the oftentimes slight differences between options.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I only wear dress shirts with dress trousers, and wear chinos (banana republic aiden) only with OCBD's and polos
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Chinos are not all the same, so the thicker the cloth, the more rugged, etc., the less office-appropriate they can be. Unfortunately not all company's give you a ton of info as to which types of chinos are which.

I find that the Bonobos "washed chinos" (aka their original chinos / main go-tos) are generally a bit on the casual side, especially after a few washes. I wear them on casual fridays, etc. but not as normal office attire. However, I wear Bonobos weekday warrior pants (which they term as "dress pants", but they're cotton all the same) as part of my biz attire all the time. Their premium chinos also are a bit more formal and can work for office wear.

Really boils down to what you're comfortable in, and how it works in your office. Ideally you can compare some choices side by side, which will be the best way to see the oftentimes slight differences between options.

I think you two just nailed what i was concerned about. The weight of the material is what makes me feel like they are more casual but couldnt nail what it was until i read that.

Helpful thread. Thanks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    I think it also depends on the pattern and collar. A white spread-collar shirt? No with even moderately casual chinos. A white/blue tattersall with button-down collar in the same fabric? Sure.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I think it also depends on the pattern and collar. A white spread-collar shirt? No with even moderately casual chinos. A white/blue tattersall with button-down collar in the same fabric? Sure.
    Yes, agree with this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    At least for this guy, the lack of a nice crease on most chinos make it too informal for office environments. Granted some guys in our office wear their VT Hokies and GB Packers sport polos every day ... but that to me doesn't make chinos an option for work days. And as highlighted the shirt pairing definitely matters.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    On-seam pocket dress pant styling makes all fabrics look a step up in formality. A khaki pair of chinos styled like dress pants straddle the line well. I prefer wool to cotton due to wrinkles but some of the non-iron cotton fabrics do quite well in that regard.