Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Code?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Moral Code?

Anyone heard much about them? http://www.businessinsider.com/moral...edium=referral

Article says they're cofounded from employees that used to work at Allen Edmonds

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    $228 for Goodyear welted calfskin boots is potentially appealing. However, many (most?) of their shoes don't specify leather quality other than premium (whatever that means) or construction. It seems like a big ask when Meermin is in business.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickywin View Post
    Anyone heard much about them? http://www.businessinsider.com/moral...edium=referral

Article says they're cofounded from employees that used to work at Allen Edmonds
    From this quotation from the article, I think they sound like so many other internet startups:

In contrast to the brands that the founders came from, Moral Code uses a direct-to-consumer business model. When you buy a pair of Moral Code shoes, you're paying for the cost of premium materials, some of the company's overhead, and of course a bit of profit. However, since there isn't an astounding retail markup like that of shoes sold in department stores, you get a lot more value for your money, and more savings, too.
    For example, Paul Evans NY:

We never understood why beautiful, timeless shoes were still monopolized by the traditional brands, while other parts of the fashion world were being disrupted by the powers of technology. By cutting out the middleman, we completely eliminate the excessive retail mark up and save you money.
    And from the Moral Code website:

Dedicated to outfitting the modern-day man with handcrafted leather shoes, bags, and other accessories we take pride in offering premium goods without the premium prices. And we do so by removing the middleman, minimizing the markups, and selling exclusively online.
    Also, it's the kind of thing that seems to drive Justin from J.Fitzpatrick nuts, from his Shoe Snob blog:

It’s amazing the amount of crap you read these days about handmade this, no middlemen that, the best leather in the world etc. I feel that automatically if you read that on a website or ad, you should simply not believe it, especially when the shoe is for only $200-$300. And it makes me fear for humanity’s intelligence when they actually believe this crap and are going around telling people that their shoes are handmade
    (Emphasis added)

Which is not to say that it's not a good shoe for $250 or whatever they are charging. I've gotten to the point where I regard Allen Edmonds as a $250 shoe, because various models go on sale so often for that price, and I love my AE shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Internet companies that label themselves as D2C-premium-affordable-luxury-goods-aka-cut-out-the-middleman shoe brands are a dime a dozen. Literally nothing stands out from this one that distinguishes them from all the others. Maybe it's a tad cynical but to me 'worked for AE' could mean anywhere from 'sold shoes in AE retail stores' to 'actually made AE shoes' to 'worked as a receptionist at AE'.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Internet companies that label themselves as D2C-premium-affordable-luxury-goods-aka-cut-out-the-middleman shoe brands are a dime a dozen. Literally nothing stands out from this one that distinguishes them from all the others. Maybe it's a tad cynical but to me 'worked for AE' could mean anywhere from 'sold shoes in AE retail stores' to 'actually made AE shoes' to 'worked as a receptionist at AE'.
    Top quality leather is very expensive and, as a variable cost, is the first place a start-up will value-engineer and cut corners. The only direct-to-customer company the offers truly premium leather is J. Fitzpatrick (and Linjer for briefcases).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    Top quality leather is very expensive and, as a variable cost, is the first place a start-up will value-engineer and cut corners. The only direct-to-customer company the offers truly premium leather is J. Fitzpatrick (and Linjer for briefcases).

cobbler union for sure. not cheap but very high quality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    In regards to the discussion about the oft used phrase, "...cutting out the middle man...", I thought this article gave a good argument for the potential value provided by retailers such as Nordstrom or others that carry multiple brands:

https://fromsqualortoballer.com/in-d...-of-retailers/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post

Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    cobbler union for sure. not cheap but very high quality.
    Coincidentally, Cobbler Union is one of the few other ready to wear internet shoe sources that Justin from J.Fitzpatrick seems to write highly of.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I find purple prose to be a big turn off regardless of price with DTC products; nothing raises a flag quite like the words "tradition," "heritage," and "premium" when the company has been around less than the iPod.

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    i'll pass. The name "Moral Code" sounds wonky to me, like "Combatant Gentleman". Call it what you will, but I won't wear clothing with a cheesy name I don't like.