Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Code?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Coincidentally, Cobbler Union is one of the few other ready to wear internet shoe sources that Justin from J.Fitzpatrick seems to write highly of.
    I absolutely love their shoes. I feel like they are by far the best quality in the 400 dollar price range without a doubt. I wish I could afford more pairs, but in due time I'll have my collection built out. I am really excited to see how they grow and what they add to their selection.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    From this quotation from the article, I think they sound like so many other internet startups:

For example, Paul Evans NY:

And from the Moral Code website:

Also, it's the kind of thing that seems to drive Justin from J.Fitzpatrick nuts, from his Shoe Snob blog:

(Emphasis added)

Which is not to say that it's not a good shoe for $250 or whatever they are charging. I've gotten to the point where I regard Allen Edmonds as a $250 shoe, because various models go on sale so often for that price, and I love my AE shoes.
    Paul Evans makes beautiful sleek shoes, but they need to shut up about pricing, because they are asking $400+ per pair.

Beckett & Simonon is the one brand where I pretty much believe their schtick, because the final product is so nice for the price.

No idea on moral code. However, shoe making on the quality level of AE isn't rocket science, just a matter of training and QC, and buying decent leather. (Yes, I know, AE needs to get back on the QC lately). Moving a step up in quality is probably much more difficult.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Beckett & Simonon is the one brand where I pretty much believe their schtick, because the final product is so nice for the price.
    How is their sizing? I've been tempted, but I have stupid narrow feet, and usually need a B width. Which means going with AE pretty much exclusively.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Paul Evans makes beautiful sleek shoes, but they need to shut up about pricing, because they are asking $400+ per pair.

No idea on moral code. However, shoe making on the quality level of AE isn't rocket science, just a matter of training and QC, and buying decent leather. (Yes, I know, AE needs to get back on the QC lately). Moving a step up in quality is probably much more difficult.
    I'm going to try both of these at some point.

I'm always getting codes from Paul Evans for anywhere from 20% to 50% off, so I don't regard them as $400 shoes. Like, AE, I consider them $250-$300 shoes, because they always have some models steeply discounted.

The B&S shoes have such tempting prices. How many do you have? What do you like about them?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    How is their sizing? I've been tempted, but I have stupid narrow feet, and usually need a B width. Which means going with AE pretty much exclusively.
    Sizing is exact to a brannock device. Many AE lasts are actually more narrow a brannock for the same size - I often need a 10E from AE, but I am squarely a 10D on a brannock.

So, they may not work for you. However, I note that every time I have tried British shoes they seem narrow as shit and like I'd need a wide size, so maybe you can explore some British brands.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

I'm always getting codes from Paul Evans for anywhere from 20% to 50% off, so I don't regard them as $400 shoes. Like, AE, I consider them $250-$300 shoes, because they always have some models steeply discounted.

The B&S shoes have such tempting prices. How many do you have? What do you like about them?
    I have one pair of Paul Evans and love them. With a discount code they're definitely worth it. Probably preferable to AE in my book.

I have a bunch of B&S shoes. Also have a bunch of AE. The B&S shoes seem to my unexpert eye and opinion to be of the same quality as the AE shoes, have held up as well, and are usually pretty comfortable. I'm sure there are corners cut somewhere, but for $150-160 a pair with a discount code, they seem like a steal.

I have a leather duffel from them that's awesome. Think I paid around $200 for it? It's a good size, great zippers, sturdy but supple pebbled leather.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

I have one pair of Paul Evans and love them. With a discount code they're definitely worth it. Probably preferable to AE in my book.

I have a bunch of B&S shoes. Also have a bunch of AE. The B&S shoes seem to my unexpert eye and opinion to be of the same quality as the AE shoes, have held up as well, and are usually pretty comfortable. I'm sure there are corners cut somewhere, but for $150-160 a pair with a discount code, they seem like a steal.

I have a leather duffel from them that's awesome. Think I paid around $200 for it? It's a good size, great zippers, sturdy but supple pebbled leather.
    Speaking of which--I just received a Paul Evans discount code for 50% off!

PRIVATESALE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)

The B&S shoes seem to my unexpert eye and opinion to be of the same quality as the AE shoes, have held up as well, and are usually pretty comfortable. I'm sure there are corners cut somewhere, but for $150-160 a pair with a discount code, they seem like a steal.
    Well, they save about $100 retail by using Blake stitching. And they use the pre-order style of sales, so I'm guessing they do not have a ton of inventory they pay to stock.

And they make them in Brazil, now I think, so labor costs are probably somewhat lower.

Given that AE can make a Goodyear welted shoe in the USA, and put them on sale on a regular basis for $250-$300, I think it's reasonable that B&S can sell a good Blake stitched shoe for $160-$220.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickywin View Post
    Anyone heard much about them? http://www.businessinsider.com/moral...edium=referral

Article says they're cofounded from employees that used to work at Allen Edmonds
    Back to the OP's original post, I don't trust Business Insider, by the way. They raved about Wolf & Shepard shoes and I do not like the pair I purchased. Notice that they are very upfront about the fact they get a commission for sales. I don't mind people getting a commission for reviews, but they had better be honest reviews, not reviews designed merely to sell.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Speaking of which--I just received a Paul Evans discount code for 50% off!

PRIVATESALE
    I bite my thumb at thee.

I've been trying to NOT buy more shoes, and now you tell me this...