Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you wear that you thought you never would?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

What do you wear that you thought you never would?

So when I was a shit-for-brains teenager I swore up and down that I would never wear a suit and tie. Just the thought of wearing something so formal and stuff each day I thought was crazy. Well, first 'real' job out of uni and boom! I was wearing a suit and tie daily.

More recently I can point to khaki pants. I figured I'd stick to wearing light weight jeans. Yet when The Gap had a sale on light weight khaki pants, and Joe identified a worthwhile pair, I figured I'd give them a try. Lo-and-behold, I have started wearing khakis.

What about you folks? Is there any article of clothing you swore you'd never wear? Only to find out that yes indeed, you are now wearing it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    For me it would be cardigans. The simple button down type. Always thought they were more feminine and Mr. Rogers older style but a nice quality one works as a great layer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    940 Post(s)
    There are several if we go back to when I was a teen. Cardigans. Casual button down shirts. Penny loafers. Oddly, dive watches. Hated them for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    @DocDave - When you say khaki's, do you mean like creased tan cotton pants? Some grad school friends and I have a running joke that we can't take anyone serious wearing khaki's and I've held that belief since. I think if you are going that far, might as well wear wool pants.

I can't think of anything currently other than maybe sport coats and jeans which I am slowly coming around to. Cardigans are interesting as I don't personally like them but haven't sworn them off.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @DocDave - When you say khaki's, do you mean like creased tan cotton pants?
    I don't think so. I'm talking about these suckers:

https://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/prod...&pid=315607013

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    940 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I don't think so. I'm talking about these suckers:

https://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/prod...&pid=315607013
    khakis...chinos...that type of thing. I gotcha. I still dont like the color khaki. I had too many uniforms with that color pant as a member of the young working class.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Sweaters. I used to wear sweatshirts and hoodies all the time, and didn't like the look and feel of a sweater. But then I noticed how versatile they can be, from work to weekend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    If you told my younger self what I wore today I would be shocked by the large majority of my wardrobe but I think the biggest perpetrators are my shoe collection and my sport coats/suits. I remember thinking that having multiple pairs of shoes (let alone quality leather dress shoes) was for the birds and that guys who wear suits & jackets were uncomfortable. I was such a fool.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Cardigans.

I'm not Mr. Rogers (ask my neighbors how friendly I am) and yet I rock a cardigan at least three times a month in the fall (i wear military casual for the work week ).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Wingtip shoes. I don't think I've owned a pair my entire life until I purchased some from Wolf & Shepherd last black Friday on sale (which I don't really like). Then, Xmas 2017 when my wife gifted me a pair of AE McNeils. Up until then, I thought they looked old fashioned and only old guys wore them. Well, I guess I'm an old guy now, because they quickly became my favorite shoes. And I followed them with AE Macallister and Stuttgart models. Then an inexpensive pair of wing tip dress boots for a costume thing. Then some Herring Premier Monk Straps with wingtips. And some Donald Pliner blue suede wingtips.

So, now I have seven pairs of shoes I thought I'd never wear.

When I was much younger, and my mother gave me a gift certificate for custom shirts as a law school grad present, I thought I would NEVER wear a shirt with monograms. I thought they were snooty. Well, the salesman at the store was insistent--"oh, but Mr. Joseph, monograms are the sign of a custom shirt--you really must." And I did. And I bought only custom dress shirts for years with monograms. Now, I don't buy custom shirts anymore, but I pretty much only buy dress shirts from places that will monogram them.

Jeans--In my early to mid-forties, I decided I was too old to wear jeans--that they were for kids and I was done being a kid. But within a few years, a couple of girlfriends convinced me that I still looked good in jeans. So, now I wear them pretty regularly on the weekends and casual evenings.