Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you wear that you thought you never would?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)

What do you wear that you thought you never would?

So when I was a shit-for-brains teenager I swore up and down that I would never wear a suit and tie. Just the thought of wearing something so formal and stuff each day I thought was crazy. Well, first 'real' job out of uni and boom! I was wearing a suit and tie daily.

More recently I can point to khaki pants. I figured I'd stick to wearing light weight jeans. Yet when The Gap had a sale on light weight khaki pants, and Joe identified a worthwhile pair, I figured I'd give them a try. Lo-and-behold, I have started wearing khakis.

What about you folks? Is there any article of clothing you swore you'd never wear? Only to find out that yes indeed, you are now wearing it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)
    For me it would be cardigans. The simple button down type. Always thought they were more feminine and Mr. Rogers older style but a nice quality one works as a great layer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    There are several if we go back to when I was a teen. Cardigans. Casual button down shirts. Penny loafers. Oddly, dive watches. Hated them for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    877 Post(s)
    @DocDave - When you say khaki's, do you mean like creased tan cotton pants? Some grad school friends and I have a running joke that we can't take anyone serious wearing khaki's and I've held that belief since. I think if you are going that far, might as well wear wool pants.

I can't think of anything currently other than maybe sport coats and jeans which I am slowly coming around to. Cardigans are interesting as I don't personally like them but haven't sworn them off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Sweaters. I used to wear sweatshirts and hoodies all the time, and didn't like the look and feel of a sweater. But then I noticed how versatile they can be, from work to weekend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    If you told my younger self what I wore today I would be shocked by the large majority of my wardrobe but I think the biggest perpetrators are my shoe collection and my sport coats/suits. I remember thinking that having multiple pairs of shoes (let alone quality leather dress shoes) was for the birds and that guys who wear suits & jackets were uncomfortable. I was such a fool.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    Cardigans.

I'm not Mr. Rogers (ask my neighbors how friendly I am) and yet I rock a cardigan at least three times a month in the fall (i wear military casual for the work week ).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Even as recently as ten years ago, I only wore suits if I absolutely had to. Now...I'd be happy to wear a suit every day.

I barely knew what a pocket square was 10 years ago. I just figured they were an old fashioned snot rag. Go figure.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Definitely, pocket squares are something I wouldn't have imagined wearing even a couple years ago. And now I have a stack of ebayed squares and I enjoy the thought put into choosing my square each morning.

Another is a watch.
    I wore the nerd digital watch as a kid and thought I was very cool until jr high basketball. The coach told me to get that thing off my wrist before I broke someone elses fingers in the rebounding scrum. So I stopped wearing watches and was always asking others for the time until smart phones put time back on my person. I did try a pocket watch for a while, but found that it felt too affected when I checked the time around others, so I stopped carrying one.
    Then two things happened in parallel. First, I'm an electrical/RF engineer and had a year long project looking into precise time associated w/ GPS/NAV so I geeked out abit re: time....and about the same time I changed jobs and became serious about dressing more professionally (I was over dressed at my previous engineering position in button down, old but clean jeans, and DSW "dress" shoes as I thought of them then) and I started learning about watches. Dove in first w/ some kickerstarter quartz models but now find myself mostly wearing an Orient automatic every day; I feel naked with out a watch now. It was such a switch that my mom, a very gracious and kind spoken woman who typically doesn't draw attention to change b/c it's impolite in her mind, exclaimed out loud that I was wearing a watch. I haven't made the jump to diver or chrono or metal bracelet yet; time will tell if I ever make that jump.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    My sarong/pareo wrap I bought in Maui at the old Lahaina Luau 4 years ago. I've only worn it out once to a beach/starwars themed party, but I do wear it around the house/yard when it's hot as balls. I didn't think I'd actually wear it at all but I find myself wearing it with some frequency now.