Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear that you thought you never would?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Wingtip shoes. I don't think I've owned a pair my entire life until I purchased some from Wolf & Shepherd last black Friday on sale (which I don't really like). Then, Xmas 2017 when my wife gifted me a pair of AE McNeils. Up until then, I thought they looked old fashioned and only old guys wore them. Well, I guess I'm an old guy now, because they quickly became my favorite shoes. And I followed them with AE Macallister and Stuttgart models. Then an inexpensive pair of wing tip dress boots for a costume thing. Then some Herring Premier Monk Straps with wingtips. And some Donald Pliner blue suede wingtips.

So, now I have seven pairs of shoes I thought I'd never wear.

When I was much younger, and my mother gave me a gift certificate for custom shirts as a law school grad present, I thought I would NEVER wear a shirt with monograms. I thought they were snooty. Well, the salesman at the store was insistent--"oh, but Mr. Joseph, monograms are the sign of a custom shirt--you really must." And I did. And I bought only custom dress shirts for years with monograms. Now, I don't buy custom shirts anymore, but I pretty much only buy dress shirts from places that will monogram them.

Jeans--In my early to mid-forties, I decided I was too old to wear jeans--that they were for kids and I was done being a kid. But within a few years, a couple of girlfriends convinced me that I still looked good in jeans. So, now I wear them pretty regularly on the weekends and casual evenings.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1046 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @DocDave - When you say khaki's, do you mean like creased tan cotton pants?
    I don't think so. I'm talking about these suckers:

https://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/prod...&pid=315607013

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I don't think so. I'm talking about these suckers:

https://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/prod...&pid=315607013
    khakis...chinos...that type of thing. I gotcha. I still dont like the color khaki. I had too many uniforms with that color pant as a member of the young working class.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    ...and I forgot a third thing... brown with grey, which I'm actually wearing today: dove grey pants w/ dark brown belt, saddle shoes and watch strap.

The first two items (pocket square and watch) are things I consciously would not have thought to wear previously.

brown with grey I didn't even think of as a possibility, but I now enjoy playing with and mixing in this color scheme.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post
    ...and I forgot a third thing... brown with grey, which I'm actually wearing today: dove grey pants w/ dark brown belt, saddle shoes and watch strap.

The first two items (pocket square and watch) are things I consciously would not have thought to wear previously.

brown with grey I didn't even think of as a possibility, but I now enjoy playing with and mixing in this color scheme.
    my wife was the same way. grey and black for leathers only. I ahve converted her.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post

Oh, yes--me too on that combo up until this year, and I am wearing it today. AE Bourbon color shoes with a light grey suit. I still can't quite find a pair of dark brown shoes I like, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Mine have to be brown shoes and wingtips. I always thought brown shoes are not formal and wingtips are for old people. Like mebejoseph, may be I am old now as I love wingtips. As for brown, let's say I learned a lot more about style in the last few years and own several shades of brown.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    All of the above. Well, minus sarong LOL.

And bow ties and suspenders.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Driving mocassins. In my younger days, condoms.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Cardigans, as others have said. I’ve also unexpectedly become a devoted Tevas fan, ever since I realized I couldn’t keep up with toddlers in flip flops (and boat shoes or anything else close-toed = misery in humid NC summers). And the man bag has grown on me, too, which isn’t too surprising in today’s world but would surprise younger me.