Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Half) Year of (Almost) No Shopping - The Tally

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1011 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    For clothing:
    Overall, the idea of the thread had me analyzing my purchases a lot more when previously I just hopped on great deals if I had a need upcoming but not right away. And if not for the Tux, would've done pretty well this year so far.
    This ^^ In the past I would just spend/purchase and not give it much thought. But because of the thread, I gave pause to a lot of the purchases I'd normally make. For example i have not bought ANY AE shoes this year. And that's saying something since there have been multiple AE sales. Including the tent sale going on right now.

@Rawfull re: closet cleanout. Now there's an idea for a thread. Snap some pics of all the items being cleaned out. If I get around to doing a cleanup this weekend, perhaps I'll do just that. Unless someone else beats me to it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I may or may not have fallen off the wagon. I'll let the jury decide. I ONLY bought items that were direct replacements for items that I already had, but that I wanted to upgrade due to ill fit or due to the item(s) being worn out.

Two slim fit JCF linen shirts in white and light blue (replacing some Old Navy ones that were quite...billowy)

Two No Sweat BR polos in navy and white, replacing same from the Gap from years ago that had really long tails...not good when work untucked on a 5'7" frame such as I have. This was where I was tested the most because I love these shirts and wanted ALL the colors.

JCF Offshore Performance shirt in navy gingham. This replaced (?) a purple gingham shirt that I bought at Kohl's many moons ago. Pretty sure I paid about $9 for that shirt at Kohl's. Got my money's worth. Again, if JCF comes out with more patterns in that Offshore Performance shirt, I will buy all of them. Right now, the other patterns are just meh, in my opinion.

More than anything, as others have said, this made me re-evaluate my browsing/purchasing behaviors. I also unsubscribed from many of the emails that I get so as to reduce temptation.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    865 Post(s)
    @MediumTex - I'd give you a pass since they are replacements and also pretty minimal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)
    The only clothing related item I bought was 1 gshock watch. Like others have said, my goal was to be more thoughtful of my purchases and just break the habit of picking up things here and there. Once I bought the G I was kind of like "I failed, I am off the hook" and was goign to get a few more things. I never did. Nothing ever compelled me or I just didnt feel it important enough to make the effort to go to a store or even do my normal online purchasing routine of buying a couple of sizes and returning the ones that didnt work out. It just didnt seem worth the effort.

Now I did buy like 6 knives, a new first aid kit, a day pack...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    Same.

-Pair of jeans from Gustin
    -Pair of shoes from Beckett Simonon
    -2 pairs of linen pants & the Brown Slub from S&M
    -SuSu Havanna jacket from Driftingawaynet on ebay

I don't think I can put off my closet cleanout any longer.
    @ rawfull

How do you like your Beckett Simonon shoes? The prices look too good to be true, especially with the discount codes they send me on a regular basis.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)
    I havenít received them yet as they donít run stock. Every month they do a round of MTO orders and once they close they take 6-8 weeks to manufacture and ship out. Mine are currently on track to arrive this month. Will let you know my impressions when they arrive.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    I haven’t received them yet as they don’t run stock. Every month they do a round of MTO orders and once they close they take 6-8 weeks to manufacture and ship out. Mine are currently on track to arrive this month. Will let you know my impressions when they arrive.
    Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    I'm starting as of July 1 because of a goal that I have for next summer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akosmowski View Post
    I'm starting as of July 1 because of a goal that I have for next summer.
    Nice! Ten days in I have already blown it with a J Crew short sleeved madras shirt (but it was on sale! It is a hot summer! I only have one closetful of similar shirts!). Oh well, only $20.

Stay strong! Iím climbing right back on the wagon...