Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Half) Year of (Almost) No Shopping - The Tally

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

(Half) Year of (Almost) No Shopping - The Tally

We’re coming up on the six month point. I didn’t make it to zero, but got pretty close. My off-the-wagon tally is as follows:

• One pair cycling gloves
    • One (expensive) Harris Tweed sportcoat
    • Two (replacement) button down dress shirts

Next step for me will be a true closet cleanout. I have several pair of nice dress shoes I never wear, and a couple of suits, and way too many casual jackets. At that point I’ll be ready to actually go shop again.

What is your tally?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    I didn't participate in the No Shopping initiative, but I did make a conscious effort to spend much less on clothing. Besides items that were purchased to replace worn items, I only bought a few things:

- Teba jacket from the Luxeswap/Armoury sale
    - Church's Chelsea Boots to replace the Carmina black shell whole cuts I sold
    - Lululemon full zip hoodie on clearance
    - J Crew Cashmere Blend Charcoal Topcoat during the super clearance this spring

Total spend was approximately $325, thanks to some amazing deals that were available this spring.
    Last edited by wsupjs; June 29th, 2018 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Like wsupjs, I wasn't planning to be part of this initiative, but I felt I had been spending a lot of money on apparel over the last year (lots of shirts from S&M, AE shoes etc) and decided it is time I cut back on my spend.

In the first 3 months I ended up buying a S&M sportscoat, a BR field jacket and a loafer from Thursday's.

While I would have liked to own a couple of linen shirts for summer and may be a chukka, I intend to go the rest of the year without buying anything new unless I have to replace something. This will be more of a test to see how much self control I have.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    I didn't participate, and I bought a tomahawk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I did well this year so far.

I bought a pair of BB Brown Strands to replace my 2 year old Clark's for $170ish.

I also bought a pair for slate blue Chino from LE on the counter on a Friday for $7.

Not too bad, but made up for it on firearm related purchases. Next 6 months is a goal of no spending on anything.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)
    I fell so far off the wagon it isn't funny. A rough tally includes:

- Rolex Sub 140606
    - Chinos from the Gap
    - Polo from the Gap
    - Shorts from JC
    - OCBD from the Gap

My downfall was the Gap had a 50% off sale so I ended up purchasing items for summer. No regrets though. All good purchases that are seeing lots of us.

@motosacto I hear ya on the closet cleanout. That's definitely going to be happening

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    We’re coming up on the six month point. I didn’t make it to zero, but got pretty close. My off-the-wagon tally is as follows:

• One pair cycling gloves
    • One (expensive) Harris Tweed sportcoat
    • Two (replacement) button down dress shirts

Next step for me will be a true closet cleanout. I have several pair of nice dress shoes I never wear, and a couple of suits, and way too many casual jackets. At that point I’ll be ready to actually go shop again.

What is your tally?
    Very impressive.

My year has been exactly opposite of yours. I really did need some new suits and new shoes--If we start counting in November of 2017, at that time, I had one suit that was less than five years old and hadn't gotten any new dress shoes for work for at least four years. Also, I lost a few pounds and most of my dress shirts' collars were too large by 1/2 inch.

I probably went overboard, no doubt. Six new suits, six new pairs of shoes for work, six or eight new dress shirts, and probably ten new ties. Plus a bunch of new socks, some new belts to match the shoes, a couple of pairs of cheap casual shoes, three new sports coats, and a cashmere blazer (that one replaced one I had owned for over ten years, had started falling apart, and was probably my most used item in the closet). Oh--and an overcoat for our late winter trip to Portland, Oregon, plus a couple of sweaters for that as well.

Wow! That was a lot.

But now that I'm caught up and have replenished my wardrobe, I'm going to see if I can duplicate your success! For real. I think.

I do need a new pair of house slippers, however--mine are falling apart at the seams.

Also, would it count if my wife gave me some new shoes for Xmas?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    For clothing:
    - SuSu Tux ... old one didn't fit and had a gala under a week away that needed black tie, so that was unexpected
    - S&M Green blazer ... too good of a deal to pass up
    - Capitals stanley cup apparel ... also unexpected so I bought t-shirts
    - Some new socks

Overall, the idea of the thread had me analyzing my purchases a lot more when previously I just hopped on great deals if I had a need upcoming but not right away. And if not for the Tux, would've done pretty well this year so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I fell so far off the wagon it isn't funny.
    Same.

-Pair of jeans from Gustin
    -Pair of shoes from Beckett Simonon
    -2 pairs of linen pants & the Brown Slub from S&M
    -SuSu Havanna jacket from Driftingawaynet on ebay

I don't think I can put off my closet cleanout any longer.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    879 Post(s)
    I would have been no spend if I didn't get a new job. Due to the new job in a casual environment, I bought extra casual clothing.

-Carmina Snuff suede bluchers (Treat yo' Self due to new job)
    -Levi's 501s to have more jeans in rotation
    -S&M OCDBs for casual shirts
    -A&E Higgins Mill...blaming new job but wanted a pair
    -S&M Tobacco Fresco (I did the pre-order in 2018 when I had my old job....not counting this against me)

Other than these, I would really not have bought anything in 2018 if it weren't for the new job. I likely wouldn't have bought the AEs if I had my old job.

Most of my 2018 spend has been on my house...which I will always argue a primary residence is a lifestyle choice and not a good investment.