Thread: Seiko Skx013

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

Seiko Skx013

I'm curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on the scaled down version of the Seiko SKX. The posts of people weraing their SKX007 and 009s in the WWIWT thread always look so good but whenever I go to pull the trigger on the smaller version, the 013, there's always something holding me back. It just looks off to meet.

Today I saw an add with a side by side of a 007 and 013 and it finally dawned on me. The scaled down version is too cluttered with the large hands and indices. To me, they look great on the larger versions of the watch. The 42 mm case size allows everything to be a little more open. But on the 38 mm everything is kinda crammed in there. Even the bezel seems overly busy.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is this something that's not as noticeable in person? Are there any other sub 40mm mechanical divers in a similar price range that would be a good alternative?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    I had the same questions, so I ordered a 007 and a 013 from Amazon with free returns to see which one I liked better. I think the 013 is too tall for its diameter. I ended up with a used 007. A good midsize alternative is the Citizen NY2300. I just sold mine to a Threads member not too long ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    899 Post(s)
    I want the 38mm to mod with a classic gilt sub style dial. Its just a more classic size. Parts are tougher for that size though so I have held off. It would be fun and cool but I dont have time for the manual modding right now...unless someone is paying me. then I am free as a bird lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Here is a side-by-side comparison: http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodive...13&MOD2=SKX007

I actually prefer SKX173 with rectangular hour markers compared to round markers on 007/009.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1770 Post(s)
    I own both (plus an SKX009) and I tend to agree the proportions of the SKX013 are not as good as the 007. The overall case is too thick for its size and the hand-set seems disproportionately small while the markers seem larger and the dial more cluttered. Even as someone with a tiny 6" wrist, I prefer to wear the 007/009. It helps that it has really short lugs (like 46mm).
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I have 6 1/8” wrists and the dial on the 013 looks fine to me. It is a chunker but it doesn’t strike me as too thick. Of my 2 watch set, it’s the watch that gets the most wrist time.

That said if you have bigger wrists and can pull off the 007, by all means doit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still on the fence since I can't seem to find another affordable diver with similar dimensions or appeal.

@Rocco thanks for the suggestion on the Citzens watch. Ive seen that model before but it just doesn't do it for me.

Rocco and @LesserBlackDog What about it that makes the Skx013 seem too tall? Most 38 mm automatic cases are around 13 mm thick. Is it the bezel that makes it seem too tall?

I've also thought about getting the 40 mm Invicta Sub knockoff and eventually have it modded. I really don't like all the branding or the magnified date but I feel like after buying the watch, replacement parts and labor it's probably not worth the hassle. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still on the fence since I can't seem to find another affordable diver with similar dimensions or appeal.
    @Rocco thanks for the suggestion on the Citzens watch. Ive seen that model before but it just doesn't do it for me.

Rocco and @LesserBlackDog What about it that makes the Skx013 seem too tall? Most 38 mm automatic cases are around 13 mm thick. Is it the bezel that makes it seem too tall?

I've also thought about getting the 40 mm Invicta Sub knockoff and eventually have it modded. I really don't like all the branding or the magnified date but I feel like after buying the watch, replacement parts and labor it's probably not worth the hassle. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
    Dunno, it just feels a little off. Have you thought about the SNZF29? It's the same size and movement as the 013, but with only 100m WR and a push-pull crown.

You could also look for a used SKX031, which is what the SNZF series replaced. 40mm, Submariner styling, and a screw-down.
    Last edited by Rocco; June 22nd, 2018 at 08:16 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    899 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post

You can get a variant for as low as $45 new if you keep an eye on amazon. if you want to know what a total project would cost, PM me. It might not cost as much as you think.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    @Rocco I do like the looks of the Seiko 5 divers and didn't know about the SNZF29. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like its available anymore.
    @idvsego Now you have me interested. PM sent.