Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Suit Ideas

Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1696 Post(s)
    I feel like chocolate brown suede shoes would work great if this is the color of the suit.

In terms of pairing other items - white or light blue shirts in solids or understated patterns. You could even do a grey or blue chambray or denim shirt. With ties, I would generally stick to blues - you could do something like a pale blue knit or grenadine with a white OCBD, but darker blue or navy would be the easiest options. A mid to dark grey tie could work, as well. A black tie seems overly formal and business-y for the feel of the suit. You could try a brown tie but that might start to be brown overkill.

If the suit were more of a true, neutral shade of brown, you could throw in a bit more variation - pink shirts, green or burgundy ties, etc - but I feel like this kind of rusty orange "cigar" color is bold enough that you want to keep everything else as neutral and understated as possible.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    But--Have you thought about an oxblood/burgundy color shoe? Especially a darker shade--I think it would look great and if you don't mind a high contrast, a lighter toned oxblood.
    I've been trying to find myself a nice burgundy/merlot shoe for some time to replace one of my black pairs.

It would work well with the dark brown I have -- real browns and any shade of purple look fantastic -- but addong another colour to the outfit means you really have to be aware of the hue of the brown suit.

Fit has been an issue; narrow heels and long toes mean either my toes are squished or my heels are lifting. I'm hoping a different size in an AE Cornwallis I have coming in will work.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I've been trying to find myself a nice burgundy/merlot shoe for some time to replace one of my black pairs.

It would work well with the dark brown I have -- real browns and any shade of purple look fantastic -- but addong another colour to the outfit means you really have to be aware of the hue of the brown suit.

Fit has been an issue; narrow heels and long toes mean either my toes are squished or my heels are lifting. I'm hoping a different size in an AE Cornwallis I have coming in will work.
    I have the same issue with fitting shoes. I mostly solved it by getting a shoe stretcher on Amazon. I just stretch the shoes across the toes. It helps a lot.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0773L...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    I have the same issue with fitting shoes. I mostly solved it by getting a shoe stretcher on Amazon. I just stretch the shoes across the toes. It helps a lot.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0773L...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it. Tried using my wooden shoe trees but didn't make any progress; not what they're designed to do, I suppose.

Experience any issues with the stretched leather, such as loss of colour?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it. Tried using my wooden shoe trees but didn't make any progress; not what they're designed to do, I suppose.

Experience any issues with the stretched leather, such as loss of colour?
    No, no discoloration on my shoes. Just don't try it too much, you could damage stitching.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    No, no discoloration on my shoes. Just don't try it too much, you could damage stitching.
    Does it have any noticeable effect on the shape of the shoes? I normally start with shoes that fit (), but I've got a pair of shoes that could use a little extra space for my pinky toe, but don't want to mess up the chisel-toe look.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    Does it have any noticeable effect on the shape of the shoes? I normally start with shoes that fit (), but I've got a pair of shoes that could use a little extra space for my pinky toe, but don't want to mess up the chisel-toe look.
    Well, that's a good question. Because I used the bunion attachments, when I first took them off the stretchers, I definitely noticed the spots where the bunion attachments were. But after an hour or so of wearing, I didn't notice them anymore.

As far as the overall shape, I'm not sure--I didn't keep one as a control to compare to a stretched one. I would say that I didn't notice any change in the shape, but I can't say if someone else might notice a change. My advice is that if you have doubts, don't do it.

On the other hand, for all but a few pairs of my shoes, the fit of one size was painful and the fit of the next size up was way too loose (12 to 13--very few shoes in 12.5, which I do much better with). So, I didn't have much choice but to take a chance with changing the shoe shape. And I'm glad I did it, because I now have several pairs of shoes that I wouldn't otherwise enjoy as much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    I kind of geeked up. The Spier dark brown neopolitan cut suit showed up today. It's a great deep brown with some minimalist texture and styles as was suggested earlier, like a charcoal. I have about five pairs of shoes that work, including the new taupe Strands I was hoping would work out. They turned out to be the most complimentary of anything I own.

Fit is also excellent, I dig the 3/2 roll and wider lapels; it will need minimal tailoring, a rarity for me. I'll post up a pic after it's done.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Also, *now* I see what the fuss is with fall. I threw on a dark green cardigan with it...I can't wait to wear that in a few months together. It looks fantastic. I've never been that guy, and suddenly I'm that guy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Also, *now* I see what the fuss is with fall. I threw on a dark green cardigan with it...I can't wait to wear that in a few months together. It looks fantastic. I've never been that guy, and suddenly I'm that guy.
    Fall's a nice compromise. Cool enough that you can wear darker, weightier shades in layers, but still light enough that you can distinguish between dark colours, while bright colours don't feel out of place.

Learning to work colours into your wardrobe is addictive. It's like any other risky activity, when it pays off you want to do it again.
    Last edited by Galcobar; June 23rd, 2018 at 04:41 PM.